Debunking a couple of myths - new blog posts

GA Firing Line

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Do you feel the same if the holster is in the pocket? My guess is that the majority of those that have your holster pocket carry.

I'm a proponent of a New York reload. Forget the extra mag. Then you don't have to figure out where to carry the mag.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
I don't like the magazine disconnect but its purely a personal preference not based on whatever "myth" you're talking about. I see no myth to debunk. All safety mechanisms serve a purpose. Legal, practical, or both. There's no way to rationally argue that. It's the trade offs that people are willing to make that cause them to dislike certain safety features. There's no question that the mag disconnect makes the chance of an accidental discharge with the mag out practically nil. Some would like their gun to b able to fire with it out though. And not everyone bases their decision on a "concocted" scenario of a struggle that leads to an inop gun because the mag came out (which is no less silly then the concocted scenarios people often have about disabling their firearm in a struggle by dropping the mag on purpose). There are other factors to be considered. Primarily for many, the potential for mechanical failure of the feature by adding complexity to the trigger mechanism. Yes that's a slim chance but it's one that can be reduced to zero by not buying a gun with that feature. And if you've trained to properly load and unload your firearm and don't like the feature to begin with then you've accepted that your gun may fire with the mag out. Choice made. No myth. Just a decision.

I would never presume to say that any safety feature is not needed or serves no purpose. Everyone needs to draw their own lines as to what they need in a firearm. I've seen a few people that should be using the barrel locks their guns shipped with as we'll as any other safety devise you can think of to put between their finger and the trigger. The mag disconnect is still a "no" for me.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
lws380 said:
I'm a proponent of a New York reload. Forget the extra mag. Then you don't have to figure out where to carry the mag.

The extra mag for my G26 is usually in my LCP. ;)

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
yz9890 said:
lws380 said:

The extra mag for my G26 is usually in my LCP. ;)

Love it! That'll work.

D

Denny4kids

Mayonardo I read in your blog: " I think most people who remove the magazine disconnect safety mechanism from their guns do so because they envision a situation in which, for some reason or other, the magazine drops from their gun when they are about to fire a round in a desperate circumstance. I'm not sure why this would happen, although I'll bet there are many who can concoct scenarios in which it would. I think the odds are extremely slim" This statement may be accurate for shooters who only get to practice and train at a strict range but if you add any practical movement in your training, your statement could not be further from the truth. I remember watching Shooting Gallery and the host Michael Bane commented the only fault he could find with his SR9c was the magazine fell out a couple times when shooting around cover at an IDPA match. He simply bumped the mag release. It happened to me also but I was crawling from the front tire to the rear at a match. It happened one other time with a different weapon.
Mags fall out. If they didn't, a misfire drill would only consist of Rack-Bang instead how it is taught now: Tap-Rack-Bang.
I believe the Mag safety is unsafe and can get you killed. Den