Daniel Defense

Faktory 47

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
At least CZ makes great guns. What does Colt still make that's great? They live in the shadows of their former self.
There's nothing wrong with a 6920, the rest of colts offerings aside.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
At least CZ makes great guns. What does Colt still make that's great? They live in the shadows of their former self.

Like it or not the 6920 is the standard by which all others are judged...that counts for something.

And you want to talk about stagnant product lines? I lovr CZs, but when was the 75 developed?

DMR

CZ Fan
Jun 4, 2015
Snellville
Zip code
Like it or not the 6920 is the standard by which all others are judged...that counts for something.

And you want to talk about stagnant product lines? I lovr CZs, but when was the 75 developed?

85 Combat.
Shadow 2
P10c
Scorpion
Bren

I own different guns other than CZs, but the point is that they do make new products and are keeping up with market demand.

Last edited:

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
85 Combat.
Shadow 2
P10c
Scorpion
Bren

I own different guns other than CZs, but the point is that they do make new products and are keeping up with market demand.

the only gun that is arguable a new design is the scorpion and maybe P10C, the 85 is really a 75 in a better dress, and the Bren is a Czech SCAR.

My point is that cz largely does what colt does; keeps on trucking with a good design.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Of the two, DD. Colt is nothing special.Low mid grade at best.

What sets DD apart? I'm impartial, but I want to know exactly what makes a DD better. Will it out last the Colt? By how much? 1k rounds, 10k rounds?

DMR

CZ Fan
Jun 4, 2015
Snellville
Zip code
What sets DD apart? I'm impartial, but I want to know exactly what makes a DD better. Will it out last the Colt? By how much? 1k rounds, 10k rounds?
My point is that Colt is not the standard any longer and has not been for years. Plenty of AR manufacturer make milspec ARs now that cost less with more features and better QC and finish.

DD is overpriced. Funny how during Obama you could buy a new DD for $1200, now they're asking $1400-1600, while other ARs have dropped in price.

On that note, both DD and Colt have dropped in their QC.

Reactions: ReservoirDawg10

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
I have seen a drop in the build quality on DD. Not in the quality of the parts, machining, specs, etc.......once in a while I see some corners cut in the assembly process. One stake instead of 2 on a castle nut, a gas key that wasn’t staked, etc. A symptom of too big/too fast.

Yep, shit that like shouldn’t happen, buuuuuuut.......I can readily fix that myself. As long as the parts are of good quality, that is, and in my experience they are with DD.

Not a huge fan of the carbine-length gas system on the Colt 6920. I don’t buy the “overgassed is more reliable with the cheap, crap ammo I run.” I see plenty of students run steel-cased .233/5.56 in midlength guns. I’ve never seen a malfunction that made me say, “If your carbine had a shorter gas system that wouldn’t have happened.”

For the past couple of decades, Colt’s QC has been a rollercoaster shit show. Had a long discussion with Ken Hackathorn about it, and we agreed all companies go through ups and downs. High points and low points.

So, if I had my druthers I’d get a mid-length DD, but I ain’t saying the Colt is a bad gun. I’m sure you’d be happy with either.

Reactions: ReservoirDawg10

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
I have seen a drop in the build quality on DD. Not in the quality of the parts, machining, specs, etc.......once in a while I see some corners cut in the assembly process. One stake instead of 2 on a castle nut, a gas key that wasn’t staked, etc. A symptom of too big/too fast.

Yep, shit that like shouldn’t happen, buuuuuuut.......I can readily fix that myself. As long as the parts are of good quality, that is, and in my experience they are with DD.

Not a huge fan of the carbine-length gas system on the Colt 6920. I don’t buy the “overgassed is more reliable with the cheap, crap ammo I run.” I see plenty of students run steel-cased .233/5.56 in midlength guns. I’ve never seen a malfunction that made me say, “If your carbine had a shorter gas system that wouldn’t have happened.”

For the past couple of decades, Colt’s QC has been a rollercoaster shit show. Had a long discussion with Ken Hackathorn about it, and we agreed all companies go through ups and downs. High points and low points.

So, if I had my druthers I’d get a mid-length DD, but I ain’t saying the Colt is a bad gun. I’m sure you’d be happy with either.

Interesting. I'm just a guy that needs a rifle that will work the 5-8 times I shoot it a year. I got a very,very good deal on a Colt 6920 ($580), but also wouldnt mind spending the money on a DD if it was truly, quantifiable,undeniably better and worth the extra shekels

Reactions: dougiemac

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
Interesting. I'm just a guy that needs a rifle that will work the 5-8 times I shoot it a year. I got a very,very good deal on a Colt 6920 ($580), but also wouldnt mind spending the money on a DD if it was truly, quantifiable,undeniably better and worth the extra shekels

It’s not. DD started using plastic dust covers. You’ll see the difference b/w a colt and LWRC in machining and parts they use.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
in all honesty, neither DD or colt is my go to rifle anymore.

these days, i’m a BCM fanboy. you can get a nice BCM rifle for ~$1000 which is more than a colt 6920 but less than DD’s cheapest model.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
in all honesty, neither DD or colt is my go to rifle anymore.

these days, i’m a BCM fanboy. you can get a nice BCM rifle for ~$1000 which is more than a colt 6920 but less than DD’s cheapest model.

I've given BCM a hard look, but like everyone says about Colt I've read lots of stuff about how BCM is also declining in quality

Reactions: Laufen