Chest rig.....

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Biggest con to a plate carrier is cost. If it were me, because this is my plan, is to buy a chest rig that you can attach to a plate carrier. Then save your pennies and buy a carrier down the road. I am leaning toward a haley strategic chest rig and then down the road buy a carrier and the chest rig will clip right onto it.
What is the going price for a good quality plate carrier?

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I've had one for a few years now. It's only been used for a bit of training and practice but I've found it to be well-suited to those things.
Thanks. That's hopefully all the use mine will see. Is there anything you would change about it?

Herk

Hunter
Mar 16, 2017
Colorado
Zip code
That I'd change? Not really but there are some very small gripes that I probably ought to throw out here. First, the side-straps were something that I thought could be a good replacement for the cummerbund and that would make the armor faster to don than a cummerbund setup. In reality, the rig was a LOT less stable without the cummerbund and was almost impossible to secure without someone else's help when the straps were used instead of the cummerbund. The easy solution here is to just use the cummerbund but just don't make the mistake that I did and think that you'll be able to "throw over and clip on" the Banshee.

I have an old square-shaped back plate that doesn't really fit in the "shooters' cut" rear pocket and that I wish did but really, I should just buy the more modern shape of plate anyway.

The cummerbund can be pulled out by accident when donning the armor so I would lace some 550 cord through the PALS webbing on the rear to hold it in place. I did this and it took less than two feet of paracord and less than ten minutes of my time. Plus, it kinda looks cool!

Apart from those very minor gripes, I think that the Banshee is of great value and seems well-made. The only other armor carrier that I have relatively extensive experience with is the Interceptor IBA though, so there could very well be some much better options out there that I just don't know about. I know that John Mosby of the Mountain Guerrilla Blog is also a user and proponent of the Banshee, for what that's worth.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
So I ended up running across a pretty solid deal on a banshee plate carrier. I will be updating this thread as I spend a little more time playing around with it. So far the quality seems to be real good. I am still trying to get the fit just right, I am playing around with it trying to fine tune the fit. 20171116_190147.jpg

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
When putting on a plate carrier with the cumberbund do you loosen up the pull straps on the sides or undo the Velcro latches on the cumberbund? It seems I am having a difficult time getting it where it feels snug enough without being to restricting.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
When putting on a plate carrier with the cumberbund do you loosen up the pull straps on the sides or undo the Velcro latches on the cumberbund? It seems I am having a difficult time getting it where it feels snug enough without being to restricting.

Do you have it loaded down with mags and stuff while your trying to adjust the fit?

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
No just trying to get it in the general ball park of fitting comfortably

If I’m understanding you correctly. Put the Velcro in a position that gives you a little adjustment in either direction then pull the straps till it fits how you want. That way when you put it on the Velcro can be used to compensate for thicker or thinner clothes underneath.

Reactions: Cudruln

Herk

Hunter
Mar 16, 2017
Colorado
Zip code
I adjust the shoulder straps so that the top of the front plate is at the bottom of my neck. Then take a deep breath in so that your chest is fully expanded and then snug the cummerbund down and secure it in position. This will allow you to breathe deeply while still having the armor snug enough to stay in position and not flop around.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
@AtlMedic @Herk

I will get some pics when I get back to the house. But the main thing I am dealing with is that there is not enough Velcro in the cumberbund area to get the front flap to stay shut properly. I am not sure if I am missing something or if the cumberbund is a touch to big.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
@AtlMedic @Herk

I will get some pics when I get back to the house. But the main thing I am dealing with is that there is not enough Velcro in the cumberbund area to get the front flap to stay shut properly. I am not sure if I am missing something or if the cumberbund is a touch to big.
It may very well be the cumberbund is too big. If I recall from my research they did offer different sizes.

Reactions: Cudruln