Cheap or Expensive Sunglasses?

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I'm surprised to hear of so many Oakley supporters - You guys didn't have any issue with the lenses getting scratched easily?

Weird, maybe I was buying the wrong model - every pair of Oakleys I had seemed to scratch pretty quickly and compared to other brands, were at the top of the list for being the most prone to scratch with the slightest effort (under normal wear and tear).

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I'm surprised to hear of so many Oakley supporters - You guys didn't have any issue with the lenses getting scratched easily?

Weird, maybe I was buying the wrong model - every pair of Oakleys I had seemed to scratch pretty quickly and compared to other brands, were at the top of the list for being the most prone to scratch with the slightest effort (under normal wear and tear).

I have snapped every pair of Oakleys I habe ever owned right on the bridge in a matter of weeks. It's all I used to buy so I have had a ton of them. Only kind thay stood up to my wide head was a pair of gas cans I lost in the Atlantic Ocean.

Green Panther

Frontiersman
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, Georgia
Are you guys who scratch the shit out of your Oakleys doing some kind of construction or grinding with hot metal where you should instead be wearing safety glasses?

DJD Unless you are bashing your face into stuff, the lenses should be fine.

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I have snapped every pair of Oakleys I habe ever owned right on the bridge in a matter of weeks. It's all I used to buy so I have had a ton of them. Only kind thay stood up to my wide head was a pair of gas cans I lost in the Atlantic Ocean.
I've never snapped the bridge on a set of Oakleys, but did break a temple piece off at the hinge.

Under Armour claimed to use some sort of titanium infused frame on the current pair I have. Not sure if it's just colorful marketing or real innovation, but my current pair is still going. :noidea:

Glock 21

Woodsman
Mar 26, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I've never snapped the bridge on a set of Oakleys, but did break a temple piece off at the hinge.

Under Armour claimed to use some sort of titanium infused frame on the current pair I have. Not sure if it's just colorful marketing or real innovation, but my current pair is still going. :noidea:

Ive never messed with the Under Armour ones before but I may have to give them a try. Ive actually got a pair of Oakleys Ive had for 7yrs but there showing there age now and will be getting replaced soon

H

Hoss

If I spend more than $25, they'll be lost, broken, scratched or stolen in less than 30 days. My Orange Camo Mossy Oak sunglasses were $15 and ate on their third year as we speak.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I had a pair of Raybans that I lost once at the bottom of the sliding rock in Tallulah gorge, in the surf at PCB and finally gone for good when an ex-girlfriend stole em. I had others and always sat on em, broke em or lost em. I have stuck the the cheap ones as it gets rather expensive after a while. As long as they offer 100% UV protection, I'm good.

The Ghost

Scout
Mar 30, 2015
Southeast Georgia

My Flak Jacket lenses do scratch easily. I've had mine for almost 5 years now and I'm on my 2nd set of lenses. Getting ready to be on pair #3 soon. I do mind to take care of em, but hey shit happens. They're the only sunglasses that don't give me headaches after extended wear.

Glock 21

Woodsman
Mar 26, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
My Flak Jacket lenses do scratch easily. I've had mine for almost 5 years now and I'm on my 2nd set of lenses. Getting ready to be on pair #3 soon. I do mind to take care of em, but hey shit happens. They're the only sunglasses that don't give me headaches after extended wear.

That's the good part is you can replace worn parts as you go but my Flak Jackets are just about shot. The color is finally wearing off on the frame now.

CSA

Hunter
Mar 31, 2015
Georgia
I have a pair of Oakleys that I bought for $200 10 years ago. That works out to about $20 a year so it makes since to me.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
I like the nice stuff. I too was given a nice pair, and wearing crappy ones just isnt the same.

Bypass

Arrrgghh!!! I'm a pirate.
Mar 25, 2015
Chatsworth, Georgia
Zip code
oakley_flak_jacket_xlj_jetb.jpg

Reactions: sam

Captdave77

Woodsman
Mar 13, 2017
Dallas GA
Zip code
Costa Del Mar Harpoons with blue mirror lenses most days and Jose' with amber lenses in low light or when fishing inshore.

Twice my harpoons snapped across the bridge and twice Costa replaced them.

kingsix

Hunter
Jul 1, 2015
Once you put a quality pair of shades on your grape, you'll never want to go back. I love my Oakley Oil Rigs for everyday.

Reactions: CSA

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
Oakley-Transformers-3-Glasses_1308340983.jpg I buy Oakley's
my husband and son wear their Oakley's all the time.they both wear gascan model(narrow/skinny faces)
my son still has his transformer Oakley's I bought them for him when they 1st came out. had to buy set of lenses since they came with 3D ones.
get what u pay for in sunglasses

Woodstock

Tracker
Jun 29, 2015
Zip code
Bah, cheap sunglasses because I'm losing or breaking them.

Open face on my motorcycle, that's a good pair with foam back.

Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
I used to buy nice sunglasses now I buy cheap ones. I just can't keep the good ones around for long. A nice pair of polarized lenses are really nice to have on the water though. That is when I miss them the most

LXHunter

Frontiersman
Jun 24, 2015
Zip code
I have lots of Oakleys, but lately I have been digging the Rudy Project glasses. A lot for the money, great customer service, great warranties etc.