Carry type and transport preference while traveling by air

Howard Law

World Class Dick Wrangler
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Sep 5, 2015
Da SAV
Zip code
So Delta has a new policy that they put a big ass zip tie on your bag upon arrival at your destination to temporarilly prevent access......
Well isn't that fucking special...

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
They didn't hassle me over ammo, the ticket agent only asked if I had ammo and how much. I decided on the HK w/owb (shirt will cover fully).

Can't carry at the job, will be in the hotel safe when I can't carry. I could cable lock the case to the inside of the rental but don't want to risk a prepared thief with bolt cutters ;)

They asked you how much ammo you had? I wonder why the hell that even matters?

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
They asked you how much ammo you had? I wonder why the hell that even matters?
To confirm you're not exceeding excepted quantity limits for dangerous goods regs

Reactions: Jake

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
So after landing in ATL tonight, I find that the Zip-tie policy is a Delta-wide doing, after further research, it looks like it went effective in April of this year.

Upon arrv in ATL, you have to go to the oversized claim belt and ask one of the Delta contract agents to go get your bag for you. Mind you, nobody tells you at origin that you'll need to pick up your bag in a different area, so you'll waste time standing at the regular carousel waiting for it u less you know better...

There was an APD officer sitting guard, he looked up when I mentioned I had a declared item, but didn't blink an eye when they brought my bag out, verified identity and then watched as I used my toenail clippers again to cut the zip-tie off. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Hayata and dial1911

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
So after landing in ATL tonight, I find that the Zip-tie policy is a Delta-wide doing, after further research, it looks like it went effective in April of this year.

Upon arrv in ATL, you have to go to the oversized claim belt and ask one of the Delta contract agents to go get your bag for you. Mind you, nobody tells you at origin that you'll need to pick up your bag in a different area, so you'll waste time standing at the regular carousel waiting for it u less you know better...

There was an APD officer sitting guard, he looked up when I mentioned I had a declared item, but didn't blink an eye when they brought my bag out, verified identity and then watched as I used my toenail clippers again to cut the zip-tie off. :rolleyes:

And hopefully everyone around felt very secure ;)

Reactions: AirOpsMgr

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
And hopefully everyone around felt very secure ;)
And if you want to get technical (this is a grey area depending upon how you view it), they are treading dangerously close to violating TSA policy that states that the air carrier can not tag the bag to denote a firearm is within ... yet they put an extra tag on the bag as seen below...

20170811_231707.jpg

Let's be honest here, this is telling every single baggage handler what's in the bag....

ETA: I'm told CAGPT stands for "Check And Give Protection To"...

And if you're a ramp agent, it says "LOL, look at this dumbass who marked his bag letting us know that there is something in here to steal" :rolleyes:

Reactions: dial1911

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I think you need a shirt or a sash or something that says "I checked a gun in my luggage!" You know, for the children.
Well as a matter of fact, I put on my CCW sash and affixed no less than 3 CCW badges; one to my sash at chest level, one at waist level, and another I kept in my hand and flashed it back and forth violently while shouting "AM I being detained or am I free to go!?!?"

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Well as a matter of fact, I put on my CCW sash and affixed no less than 3 CCW badges; one to my sash at chest level, one at waist level, and another I kept in my hand and flashed it back and forth violently while shouting "AM I being detained or am I free to go!?!?"

No video confrontation of you trying to prove to a cop that you're smarter than they are about the laws trying to provoke them so that you can become YouTube famous? :tsk:

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
And if you want to get technical (this is a grey area depending upon how you view it), they are treading dangerously close to violating TSA policy that states that the air carrier can not tag the bag to denote a firearm is within ... yet they put an extra tag on the bag as seen below...

View attachment 31238

Let's be honest here, this is telling every single baggage handler what's in the bag....

I feel the same way about the "ORM-D" tags on my mailed packages.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
No video confrontation of you trying to prove to a cop that you're smarter than they are about the laws trying to provoke them so that you can become YouTube famous? :tsk:
Alas, I accidentally checked it in the bag that was zip-tied :(

Reactions: Jake

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I feel the same way about the "ORM-D" tags on my mailed packages.
Meh, ya can't do anything about those, that's governed by IATA Dangerous goods regs (when it goes by air); I'd explain further, but it will just remind me of the 40 hour Category 6 course we shippers have to take every 2 years to ship "Dangerous Goods"

Sidenote: I once worked for an airline that had a fruit considered a dangerous good and was actually listed in the IATA DG manual as forbidden for carriage on passenger aircraft (could only be loaded on cargo aircraft) .... yes, it gets that ghey

Reactions: dial1911

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
Meh, ya can't do anything about those, that's governed by IATA Dangerous goods regs (when it goes by air); I'd explain further, but it will just remind me of the 40 hour Category 6 course we shippers have to take every 2 years to ship "Dangerous Goods"

Sidenote: I once worked for an airline that had a fruit considered a dangerous good and was actually listed in the IATA DG manual as forbidden for carriage on passenger aircraft (could only be loaded on cargo aircraft) .... yes, it gets that ghey

I felt a little better when we had something in an aerosol can delivered from Amazon that had the same sticker on the box. Previously, I had only seen ammo arrive with that label.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I felt a little better when we had something in an aerosol can delivered from Amazon that had the same sticker on the box. Previously, I had only seen ammo arrive with that label.
Nah, ORM-D is used for a lot of DGs, it basically states that the contents are within the "Limited quantity" limitations that are set forth in the IATA DG regs, it's used for all kinds of commodities meeting limited quantity packaging, not just ammo.

There is another label "ID8000", which falls just under that one, which is used for perfumes and other items right on the line of being a "DG".

All that stuff is child's play, it doesn't start getting sporty until you try to ship Anhydrous Hydrazine or other "Totally forbidden" items that come with special government exemption paperwork ;)