Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Those multicam boots look neat.

I already have some boots though.....

They issue the crappy ones. The Rocky or Danner boots are WAY more comfortable.

Reactions: sam

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
yes after basic my son bought bellivue after basic

lol those are the ones they issued me....terribly uncomfortable but then again I have to have the steel toes. The jungle issue boots are a little better.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
That looks pretty cool. I'd be interetested to read more about what they are actually doing. The website is pretty salesy.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I have been wearing steel toe boots for 23+ years now. I have worn many different brands. I tried the shoes once, but they did not give enough ankle support. Every boot has an issue. I have found that it is best to find a comfortable fit and then install a good pair of insoles. I do get the oil resistant, slip and shock hazard options on the boots I do buy.

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I have been wearing steel toe boots for 23+ years now. I have worn many different brands. I tried the shoes once, but they did not give enough ankle support. Every boot has an issue. I have found that it is best to find a comfortable fit and then install a good pair of insoles. I do get the oil resistant, slip and shock hazard options on the boots I do buy.
Same here, after 19 years working on flight-lines (concrete and perforated steel eats soles like there is no tomorrow), I've been through the boot gamut several times over.

In the past couple of years, I find myself coming back to Timberland's pro series, specifically their "Endurance" steel toe. Sturdy caps on both the toe and heel, puncture resistant bottom plate, fiberglass shank, oil/heat resistant sole, cushioning almost as good as a tennis shoe, and their seams/welds seem to last for the life of the sole.

They're not cheap, but one of very few models that have lasted more than a year and a half with constant use / abuse.

52562214-HERO

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Same here, after 19 years working on flight-lines (concrete and perforated steel eats soles like there is no tomorrow), I've been through the boot gamut several times over.

In the past couple of years, I find myself coming back to Timberland's pro series, specifically their "Endurance" steel toe. Sturdy caps on both the toe and heel, puncture resistant bottom plate, fiberglass shank, oil/heat resistant sole, cushioning almost as good as a tennis shoe, and their seams/welds seem to last for the life of the sole.

They're not cheap, but one of very few models that have lasted more than a year and a half with constant use / abuse.

52562214-HERO
This is one brand that I am partial to as well. Price is not an issue when you are talking about the safety and care of your feet. Fortunately, most all of the companies I have worked for have had a annual safety shoe allowance and currently I get $125 a year toward a pair of boots. No matter how much cushioning, it is never enough for me as I have marble sized knots in the arches on both feet, so I always have to add extra.

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
This is one brand that I am partial to as well. Price is not an issue when you are talking about the safety and care of your feet. Fortunately, most all of the companies I have worked for have had a annual safety shoe allowance and currently I get $125 a year toward a pair of boots. No matter how much cushioning, it is never enough for me as I have marble sized knots in the arches on both feet, so I always have to add extra.
Funny you mention that, I recently took on a new position with my company dealing strictly with Safety, I'm in the midst of updating the current company manuals and reviewing one such area with the legal dept specific to "Safety shoes".

My previous company was recently acquired by a new company, one of the issues I face is lining up wording from previous company manuals to the current company's manuals, such as footwear & PPE. The old manual states "sturdy leather work-boots that cover the ankle", the current company's manual just reads "Safety shoes" - unfortunately, too much ambiguity and interpretation results in wording like "safety shoes".

Long story short, there are a few locations that are union, so we have to be careful about wording so that the company doesn't have to provide the boots or a stipend, but at the same time, we do have to be specific enough to describe what a sturdy work boot is.

Last edited:

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I can completely understand that. I had to write ISO 9000 specifications for a company that I worked for. You would think that would be an easy task because it is a "do what you say, say what you do" kind of thing. I had to write the specifications for all the graphics, cases, trays and any other materials used in the manufacturing process. I had to provide ranges that the manufacturers signed off on and then do random checks to ensure that the provided product was being maintained. It really boiled down to me adjusting the specs to allow for differing manufacturers to fit in.

The dilemma involving your safety shoes is a good one. If the company has to provide PPE to the workers then you may have to move the footwear or safety shoes to a different category to cover the differing locations. I am sure that each version of the manual had to run the the union for approval in the past, maybe review the wording and see how they updated the terms if there were any changes. If you start throwing in OSHA or ANSI specifications then they will certainly want reimbursement for the shoes. There is a very labor intensive process of exclusionary descriptions. For example: Footwear must be of a leather or vinyl material and cannot be made of canvas, cotton or rubber material for the shell construction. The toe area must be protected by composite or steel toe shield to protect from impact or crushing. The sole of the footwear must be made of appropriate material as to provide puncture resistance, slip resistance and electrical hazard resistance. Typically, most work footwear is made to all the current specifications. I have worked for several large companies that had unions. Their safety policies were so strict that people did not have a choice, union or not.

I do not believe in unions nor do many people I know who belonged to them. I turned down a job in Cartersville @ $30 an hour because of union. I won't name names but it would make Bud a little wiser.