Bolt Won't Stay Back

GA Firing Line

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Shit - could be a short tube, but cutting the screw down worked. I replaced the damn mag release with 2 others, swapped uppers, etc. Finally occurred to me that it had to be somewhere in the extension just by process of elimination. Sounds like this could very well be the OP's problem as well.
I'd bet he's using a regular carbine receiver extension. In that case, there's no screw to obstruct the travel distance, only the back end of the tube. My money is still on a lower or parts kit issue though.

Reactions: Strider12

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Have you looked inside the receiver to see if you can better identify what is going on? This picture is what I am referring too. Note: the mag follower pushing the catch up for good bolt blockage. May help to post a pic like this. Will help identify out of spec problems. If you have a functioning AR bolt catch, would be helpful to compare just to rule out what you can before going and swapping out a bunch of stuff.

image.jpeg

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
Have you looked inside the receiver to see if you can better identify what is going on? This picture is what I am referring too. Note: the mag follower pushing the catch up for good bolt blockage. May help to post a pic like this. Will help identify out of spec problems. If you have a functioning AR bolt catch, would be helpful to compare just to rule out what you can before going and swapping out a bunch of stuff.

View attachment 17037
Thanks. They have a new bolt catch and hardware coming. When I get those installed and try it again if there are any issues I'll come back to this.