Best bang for the bucks

Howard Law
R

rayzer007

Since it appears to be a slow time around here -

I think my Kahr CW9, purchased new @ $355, is the best bang for my bucks I've ever purchased.
Close second is my S&W 442 @ $360.
Now that I think of it, the Combat Commander for $375 (used, with lots of holsters, mags, bullets) was a great deal back in '84 too.
Elsie @ $289 is a consideration also.
Right there is the NAA .22 Minimag @ $59 back in '78 (bought it in a little gun shop in a room in the back of a delicatessen)!
Gee ........... I done good over the years! :)

What have you got that you were happy with price?

Ray

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
Nice going Ray.
On vacation down here in Florida I just picked up a Benjamin 22 rifle with scope for a hundred thirty bucks. Like new in the box. I also picked up a Henry 22 lever action at the same garage sale for $250 in real decent condition.
He thrue in a 100 rounds of 22lR and 500 tin of 22 cal pellets.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Pretty happy with all my Ruger purchases. Not the fanciest guns, but they get it done for a reasonable price. Only thing I have "plenty" of money in are my Saiga shotguns. I spent more on them after I bought them than on the original purchase price.

BeyondTheBox

Woodsman
Jan 7, 2013
The Great NorthWest
What I got a gun for or what they go for new? I'll go with new.

A Sccy CPX2 is what I consider to be hands down the best literal bang for buck.

Hi Points are a very close second, but hardly concealable AFAIC.

Stoeger Cougar

Ruger P95/90

Diamondback Db9/380

Phoenix HP22(A)

Kahr P380/CM line

I think there are a lot of high value guns out there. Anything under 400 with proven track record for quality.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
BeyondTheBox said:
What I got a gun for or what they go for new? I'll go with new.

A Sccy CPX2 is what I consider to be hands down the best literal bang for buck.

Hi Points are a very close second, but hardly concealable AFAIC.

Stoeger Cougar

Ruger P95/90

Diamondback Db9/380

Phoenix HP22(A)

Kahr P380/CM line

I think there are a lot of high value guns out there. Anything under 400 with proven track record for quality.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Beyond the box, I have posted many times about the Sccy as a gun really worth looking into. (you can go back and see my post). I have not shot one yet, but really like the feel and balance! Many really great reviews and even some gun mags claiming it to be a really "Best Buy"!
I just received another offer to renew my subscription for "GUNTEST" magzine. This included some of their remarks about certain guns. One remark was about the Phoenix 22.cal. They said they bought one locally for $140.00 and did not expect very much. Then after testing said It was a great pistol, worth as much as some 22.cals costing 4 TIMES AS MUCH!!!! I agree! :)

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
I have one of the Phoenix 22's with both barrels combo it is a blast. Great gun for the money.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
I love It when people start talking about S&Ws versus Colts, or Rugers. It’s almost as much fun as when they get into Chevys versus Fords, Toyota, GMC or VW.

It gets down to being a personal preference. I own a few Rugers, S&Ws , Colts, Iver Johnsons, Marlins…. and some others brands from places like Germany, Sweden, Switzerland, and Belgium.

http://faculty.quinnipiac.edu/charm/CHARM%20proceedings/CHARM%20article%20archive%20pdf%20format/Volume%2015%202011/Early%20Brand%20Development%20in%20US%20Firearms.pdf

Early Brand Development in the U.S.Firearms Industry

The above is a link ot a great Essay written by Terrence H. Witkowski that goes a long way towards explaining the why and the how of how we wound up with so many different manufacturers of firearms in America.

He traces the development of four major U.S. firearms brands – Colt, Remington, Smith & Wesson, and Winchester – from their origins in the mid 19th century until 1914.

How did these guys wind up being some of the longest lived and most iconic brand names in U.S. business history? Advertising.

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
I found out by accident a few years ago that as a holster maker gun manufactures offer me a very good discount. I had thought I had made some good buys before then, but now I realize they were not as good as I thought. Also, now that I have my FFL, I can get some pretty good deals too. But the problem now is availability. Discounts are not much good if there is no supply.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Yes, advertising. Just like most things. In college I took a marketing course and Beer was a very interesting topic. Miller High Life was really losing sells. Nobody cared for a old geezer champange bottle of beer. Start showing a lot of red necks drinking it and a lot of football jocks and bingo. Go into most gun shops and mention the Little Phoenix and just watch how they turn their noses up and give you that look like you just asked his sister out. However, then ask him if he ever shot one, and of course you can see the NO on their face. As I mentioned, go into the Trane factory. Follow the conveyor belt as they are assembled. At the very end, the units will go left, and the next one right. One will get a Trane labled grill the next American Standard. Why do the Tranes sell higher?

Rugers? heck they always sell for less but will match in quality, most pistols costing twice as much. If I was going to get another nine, I would most definitely try the SCCY at $299.

R

rayzer007

Slowhand said:
He traces the development of four major U.S. firearms brands – Colt, Remington, Smith & Wesson, and Winchester – from their origins in the mid 19th century until 1914.

How did these guys wind up being some of the longest lived and most iconic brand names in U.S. business history? Advertising.

True Bill, but they are quality products also. There are others out there that advertise, but they are not high quality.

Ray