Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
image.jpg image.jpg

I'm thinking I need to add an axe to my inventory. I'm not sure if a hatchet is the way to go or the axe. I know the ax is able to do more but it's heavier where the hatchet is lighter yet you can only cut smaller wood. Which 1 do you keep with you.

madHatter

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Fuckville
A machete.

But in all seriousness... A gran fours (sp) bruk camp axe is what I would have. As I have it right now, I have a Michigan double bit, and a youth ¾ axe. The youth axe gets more use than the does the double bit.

Reactions: Red Dawn

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I keep a machete but I learned the hard way about chopping hardwood with it. some types of wood you have to have a hatchet or axe. I don't want to carry a saw

Dinky Dau

Over Sexed Sr. Citizen
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2015
Zip code
I have a bush axe that I bought 30 years ago...It still works great, I don't

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
I dont have a sheath for it, I have only used it around the house so far. I do know its light & handy, and I would take it to the woods in a heart beat.

TattooedGunner

Frontiersman
Mar 31, 2015
Cedartown, GA
Zip code
Ask yourself what size wood you would need to cut the majority of the time. If you need to fell trees or cut large logs get an axe. If you are just going camping and picking up dead wood and need to split it or make into more manageable pieces a hatchet is all you need. Let the work you need to do make the choice.

madHatter

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Fuckville
Ask yourself what size wood you would need to cut the majority of the time. If you need to fell trees or cut large logs get an axe. If you are just going camping and picking up dead wood and need to split it or make into more manageable pieces a hatchet is all you need. Let the work you need to do make the choice.
Brilliant post

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I'm thinking not quite Viking battle axe but more than a hatchet. 3/4 sized and 2-5 lb axe. If I had to work a 6-8" tree no problem and you can still make kenneling with it.

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Do you think an axe would make too much noise and attract attention?

sog_fasthawk-hatchet-400.jpg

I have the SOG.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Do you think an axe would make too much noise and attract attention?

sog_fasthawk-hatchet-400.jpg

I have the SOG.
My son has been wanting me to get those for a while now. Ever time we go to Academy dad they got these he says. I do like em.

Kobayashi

Frontiersman
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
I'm thinking not quite Viking battle axe but more than a hatchet. 3/4 sized and 2-5 lb axe. If I had to work a 6-8" tree no problem and you can still make kenneling with it.
I think you'd find that a hatchet will do most/all of what you need, especially when you consider how much weight a full Axe adds to your pack. For me a hatchet or tomahawk along with a 5" bushcraft knife works best.

Last edited:

Nicaburns

Hunter
Jul 3, 2015
The trail hawk is very handy but often not as viable for splitting kindling as a 6" bladed camp knife since you can baton the knife through logs.
(I usually have a trail hawk, a 6" camp knife, and a 24" saw blade to build a frame for if need be when camping.)
Never had the need for an axe but most north woods guys swear by them... Husqvarna has a good line of axes that will only cost you half of what a GB will

Reactions: Patryn and Red Dawn

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA

I would 2nd this. I chose a hatchet but there might be a double bit ax in the Honda.

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
The trail hawk is very handy but often not as viable for splitting kindling as a 6" bladed camp knife since you can baton the knife through logs.
(I usually have a trail hawk, a 6" camp knife, and a 24" saw blade to build a frame for if need be when camping.)
Never had the need for an axe but most north woods guys swear by them... Husqvarna has a good line of axes that will only cost you half of what a GB will

I would agree but I got a custom tomahawk that has been very viable and even made me stop carrying a machete or a large fixed blade because it served those purposes. Guess it all depends on the amount of time and what your chopping.

Reactions: Nicaburns