Artificial intelligence

GA Firing Line

madHatter

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Fuckville
Yeah...the last movie I saw in a theatre was...honestly, I can't even remember. I'm somewhat of a home-body to begin with...then you get married, have two kids....well, you get the idea. I'm particularly boring and uninteresting. It's true.
But your online persona makes you seem more worldly and have had vast experience with pop culture. And have that savy of a modern philosopher.

rOmiLaYu

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
Earth
Zip code
I wonder if the primates had been previously exposed to mirrors, and had a chance to figure out what they were seeing.
There aren't many regularly eaten animals that I've been around smarter than pigs. I have to admit, knowing the depth and breadth of emotions that animals like cattle, pigs, sheep, goats experience, it is a bit disconcerting to raise them as food. It is for me anyway, and I grew up on a farm, and have worked in a meat processing plant. To extend to those animals the same compassion and love as the beloved family dog is accurate and logical, yet most of us do not.
I think those are all valid points. I had a friend who lived on a farm and he always rationalized it based on the purpose of the animal. The dogs were coworkers and the cattle were the product. It worked for him.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I think those are all valid points. I had a friend who lived on a farm and he always rationalized it based on the purpose of the animal. The dogs were coworkers and the cattle were the product. It worked for him.
Yeah, that's what I used to tell myself, but it's really not true. I'm still a hypocrite though.
Also, their purpose was not, and is not innate. It was borne from our will for their existence. We've coaxed their evolution to fit our dietary needs. It's not like they just continue to pop up from nothingness to provide a food source. We continue to cultivate them.

rOmiLaYu

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
Earth
Zip code
Yeah, that's what I used to tell myself, but it's really not true. I'm still a hypocrite though.
Also, their purpose was not, and is not innate. It was borne from our will for their existence. We've coaxed their evolution to fit our dietary needs. It's not like they just continue to pop up from nothingness to provide a food source. We continue to cultivate them.
I'd bring up Scripture and how all this is set out but .... yeah.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I'd bring up Scripture and how all this is set out but .... yeah.
You could, and you could also bring up the fact that the christian god never intended (or did he, knowing ahead of time that eve would take that bite, and he set the whole clusterfuck into motion anyway) humans to eat animals, they all just existed together.