GA Firing Line

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
Beretta 1301 Tactical.

Ghost Ring sights on an 18.5” barrel makes it good for house or field use.

Ran one through Tactical Response’s Fighting Shotgun course and loved it so much I bought my ownX

Reactions: AtheosG17

Huddy

Tracker
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 5, 2016
Cumming, GA
Zip code
I started down this path years ago and here's what I learned:
1) changing barrels is a hassle if everytime you want to hunt you have to pull the 18" and install a 26" vent rib, and remember to switch it back when you get home
2) changing/ removing plugs is another hassle, mostly when you forget it at home and know that you are about to hunt an area where rangers frequent
3) settling on a 22" barrel is too long for easy maneuvering inside most homes, and too short for for bird hunting.
So, I have come to the conclusion that having the right tool for the job is of the utmost importance when it comes to either duty...and thus have 2 different tools for 2 different jobs. Semi or pump is your choice...I like both. Fond of Winchester 1300s and anything Benelli makes.

AtheosG17

Scout
Oct 10, 2017
Nashville
Zip code
I started down this path years ago and here's what I learned:
1) changing barrels is a hassle if everytime you want to hunt you have to pull the 18" and install a 26" vent rib, and remember to switch it back when you get home
2) changing/ removing plugs is another hassle, mostly when you forget it at home and know that you are about to hunt an area where rangers frequent
3) settling on a 22" barrel is too long for easy maneuvering inside most homes, and too short for for bird hunting.
So, I have come to the conclusion that having the right tool for the job is of the utmost importance when it comes to either duty...and thus have 2 different tools for 2 different jobs. Semi or pump is your choice...I like both. Fond of Winchester 1300s and anything Benelli makes.

Hmmm I think you might be right. That sounds logical.

Huddy

Tracker
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 5, 2016
Cumming, GA
Zip code
I will add that I recently handled and shot a new stoeger semi-auto and was thoroughly impressed. It was a 20ga...amazingly light, camo dipped, smooth action, and I think it was only $400. If I needed a new hunting rig, it would be a contender for that price.

Reactions: AtheosG17

AtheosG17

Scout
Oct 10, 2017
Nashville
Zip code
I will add that I recently handled and shot a new stoeger semi-auto and was thoroughly impressed. It was a 20ga...amazingly light, camo dipped, smooth action, and I think it was only $400. If I needed a new hunting rig, it would be a contender for that price.

I looked into those once and could not find a lot of people that owned one. That was awhile ago though, like years ago. I'll look into them again.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
If it were me I would decide if it was more important to have a nice HD shotgun or a nice hunting shotgun, then buy a less expensive gun for the other role.

For example if HD was your main concern then buy a nice 1301 Tactical or 590a1 for HD and a Stoeger semi auto or 870/500 for hunting.

Reactions: Righter13 and Huddy

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Semi auto, I’m a huge Benelli fan. My M2 runs flawlessly. There’s a reason so many 3-gun guys run them. This is crucial in a defense gun. There are also plenty of aftermarket upgrades for the M2. Taran Tactical will completely re-work your gun. But it will cost you. And barrels are more expensive than a whole new mossberg 500. The 500 or Remington 870 is my choice for best utility shotgun though. Priced right, aftermarket support is unbelievable, and ridiculously reliable. But, they are Pumps.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
For a pump; Remington 870 Police for a defense shotgun, 870 Wingmaster for hunting. Specifically those 2 models; not an HD or Express.

For a semi-auto, the Benelli M2 in different configurations for different jobs. The Beretta 1301 is second, with the Mossberg 930 in third.

Pros and cons:

1. You can buy 4-5 870’s for the price of a Benelli M2

2. In the shotgun classes I run, the majority of malfunctions that I see with pump shotguns are due to user error, unless it’s a Mossberg 500 in which case it probably broke. With semi-autos, most malfunctions are ammo related. The Benelli M2 is inertia-operated, meaning they can have issues with cheap, low-brass shells. Also, if you hang too much crap on the gun, it adds weight, which soaks up inertia, which can cause malfunctions. Keep in mind, I’m talking specifically about combat shotguns here and not hunting guns.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rwjeter

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
For a pump; Remington 870 Police for a defense shotgun, 870 Wingmaster for hunting.

For a semi-auto, the Benelli M2 in different configurations for different jobs. The Beretta 1301 is second, with the Mossberg 930 in third.

Pros and cons:

1. You can buy 4-5 870’s for the price of a Benelli M2

2. In the shotgun classes I run, the majority of malfunctions that I see with pump shotguns are due to user error, unless it’s a Mossberg 500 in which case it probably broke. With semi-autos, most malfunctions are ammo related. The Benelli M2 is inertia-operated, meaning they can have issues with cheap, low-brass shells. Also, if you hang too much crap on the gun, it adds weight, which soaks up inertia, which can cause malfunctions. Keep in mind, I’m talking specifically about combat shotguns here and not hunting guns.
Have you noticed that new 870’s are having more issues than older ones?

Recently took a class and one guy had a brand new one that was having extraction issues.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Have you noticed that new 870’s are having more issues than older ones?

Recently took a class and one guy had a brand new one that was having extraction issues.

I keep hearing this but haven’t seen it myself. A “standard” 870 and a Police Model or Wingmaster are quite different shotguns, that’s why I specifically mentioned those 2 models.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I have a Remington 1100 for hunting and an AOW shotty fir home defense! Guess which was more expensive!