Alien gear cloak tuck 3.0 review

Howard Law

David (OHGO)

Tracker
Sep 29, 2016
I recently purchased 2 Cloak Tuck 3.0 Holsters, I also got a Cloak Tuck in leather (more on that later).

The Cloak Tuck 3.0 hybrid holster has been the most comfortable holster I have used to date. Beating out custom leather ones, and Crossbred Holsters by far. The quality of the construction is something you'd expect to find in those $80+ holsters everyone is always raving about. Its lightweight and makes concealed carry an pleasure again. I didn't find one side of my pants sagging down compared to the other side. As a matter of fact there were occasions when I forgot I was carry a weapon completely.

Aside from the unbelievable comfort of this holster, the retention it offers is top notch also. I practiced drawing the weapon probably over 300 times in the course of 3 days and not a single time did the holster come up out of the pants with the gun. I never had a single issue with drawing the weapon and aiming it down range a single time.

If anyone is in the market for a new holster, I encourage you to check out the Cloak Tuck 3.0 from Alien Gear. Just a fantastic piece of equipment all around and well worth the investment.

The Cloak Tuck IWB leather holster.. not such a glowing review for that one, but that can be for another day. I've since contacted Alien Gear to see about exchanging it for another Cloak Tuck 3.0 so we will see what happens.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
Interesting. I've had a few Cloak Tucks because I always buy them to get me by until my crossbreeds come in. And my opinion is the opposite. They are nice holsters, and comfortable for a while, but they just don't compare to the Crossbreeds in comfort and quality. The Alien Gear wear out significantly faster than the Crossbreeds.

You might have a point about the initial comfort because Alien Gear is comfortable out of the box, while it takes about a month to break in a Crossbreed. The reason for this is longevity. The Crossbreed is far more durable, so if you break it in it will eventually surpass the Alien Gear in comfort but will last significantly longer.

Obviously that's just one man's opinion, but I will always spend the extra money and get a crossbreed. And I typically own an Alien Gear and a Crossbreed for each pistol I own, so I've put them both through their paces. I have a crossbreed for my everyday carry Glock that I have used nearly daily for over 6 years and it's in the same condition as the day I got it (except the leather is now formed to my body contour). None of my Alien Gear have lasted that long.

Last edited by a moderator:

David (OHGO)

Tracker
Sep 29, 2016
[QUOTE="T.L.Jones]Interesting. I've had a few Cloak Tucks because I always buy them to get me by until my crossbreeds come in. And my opinion is the opposite. They are nice holsters, and comfortable for a while, but they just don't compare to the Crossbreeds in comfort and quality. The Alien Gear wear out significantly faster than the Crossbreeds.
You might have a point about the initial comfort because Alien Gear is comfortable out of the box, while it takes about a month to break in a Crossbreed. The reason for this is longevity. The Crossbreed is far more durable, so if you break it in it will eventually surpass the Alien Gear in comfort but will last significantly longer.

Obviously that's just one man's opinion, but I will always spend the extra money and get a crossbreed. And I typically own an Alien Gear and a Crossbreed for each pistol I own, so I've put them both through their paces. I have a crossbreed for my everyday carry Glock that I have used nearly daily for over 6 years and it's in the same condition as the day I got it (except the leather is now formed to my body contour). None of my Alien Gear have lasted that long.

[/QUOTE]
I will have to be sure to come back in 30-45 days and provide an update. It is very possible the AG will wear down faster and then become uncomfortable. I know I've had my crossbreed for a while now and it took a lot of abuse and held up good.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
I don't want to sound like I'm knocking Alien Gear. They're a great holster for the price and I use them at times and therefore trust my life to them. I just prefer Crossbreed if I have a choice.

HOG2K

Hobbyist Photographer
Jan 30, 2016
I have my Cloak 3.0 IWB holster from Alien Gear for about 3 months and I absolutely love it!! One thing you didn't mention David is that you can just switch out the shell for other guns you may own. Very easy to do and only takes a couple minutes, gotta love that feature. Plus each shell doesn't cost that much. I have one shell for my XDM 3.3 9mm and S&W Shield 9mm.

Like David said, you can wear this all day and have zero problems with it and actually forget you are even wearing it. The new 3.0 is so comfortable that even I will wear it and I use to hate IWB holsters.

Concealed Carry Holsters - Alien Gear Holsters - Gun Holsters[/URL]

"Free Shell Trades For Life" If you ever decide to carry a different handgun, send us your old shell (the hard plastic portion) and we’ll swap it for a new one from our extensive line up, free of charge. . Continue reading at: Concealed Carry Holsters - Alien Gear Holsters - Gun Holsters

David (OHGO)

Tracker
Sep 29, 2016
I did indeed mean the leather one was a Cloak Tuck 2.0. I just assumed they would have been a Cloak Tuck 3.0, but since I dont check out all these fancy schmancy marketing names I was mistaken.

Either way, its on its way back to AG and a new Cloak Tuck 3.0 is on its way.

HOG2K

Hobbyist Photographer
Jan 30, 2016
David,

Since I only switch out 2 guns, I opted for the extra shell instead of purchasing a whole new holster. I must be cheap or something :)

So, you will now have 3.. 3.0 holsters?

Hawkeye

Hunter
Feb 8, 2016
Looks like Alien Gear is a pretty popular choice here. I have one myself though its one of their Cloak Tuck 2.0 holsters and not the newer 3.0 one. However I may upgrade if I can get some disposable cash together sometime soon. The 2.0 served me well for a while, but its starting to break down and is no longer comfortable like T.L mentioned.

joebus

Scout
Jun 22, 2016
I purchased a Cloak Tuck 3.0 about 6 weeks ago and have been wearing it almost daily since. It's pretty comfortable with my Glock 43, I wear it at about 3:30-4:00 and have taken 5 mile hikes without it moving or getting too uncomfortable. The clips are a bit too pliable for my liking, but fortunately AG sells other styles of clips on their website.

One stupid thing I did was when I went to loctite the screws in place (like the instructions say to) I used screws that were too long. Long story short, I could not get that damn screw out again and I ended up destroying the P-nut (the lug that holds the shell to the backing.) I called Alien Gear to order more parts, spoke to probably the friendliest and most helpful support agent I've ever spoken to, and she sent me, for free, a replacement parts kit that was at my door 3-4 days later.

Top tier customer service, they'll have my business for a while.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
I have always been partial to comp-tac MTAC when it comes to hybrid holsters. Have had one for nearly 9 years that is still going strong. The AG holsters seem pretty popular though, and do have a very competitive price point.

David (OHGO)

Tracker
Sep 29, 2016
Just doing a follow up with this after 6 months of carry.

After the initial surprise of the quality of the holster I've kind of returned to earth over it. Its at best an average holster, and honestly its probably closer to below average quality after just six months of near every day use.

Aside from the normal maintence of perhaps attending to the retention screws occasionally there have been other quality issues.

The clips have fallen off numerous times, and the initial comfort hasn't lasted. I had it for my FiveSeven and I carried it about the 4 oclock spot and had a few issues with it. Sometimes it felt as if the holster was riding up and out of my pants, and the clips were difficult to get over some belts and pants combos. But oddly they would always come up from time to time with no problem.

So over all, after 6 months of use i'd have to say Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 holsters are average at best.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
This has been my experience with Alien Gear as well. I usually buy one at our local gun shop when I buy a new carry gun and use it until a crossbreed can be ordered and delivered (usually 4-6 weeks). By this time the Alien Gear is wearing out a bit anyway. Then the crossbreed lasts me for years.