Howard Law

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
ybe4yhat.jpg
8y4ybe3a.jpg

are4asym.jpg
uha5yreq.jpg

It's a little less than lower third but still workable. Can remove dust cover w/o removing optic but it's not difficult to remove anyway. Hopefully it holds zero. I didn't like any of the gas tube options. That thing gets crazy hot plus I remove the tube for cleaning and didn't want to get a screwdriver out an re-zero anything after every cleaning. Have to lift rear sight up to open front lens cap. Might just get a bikini cover to alleviate that issue or just deal with it.

-RS Products AKM mount (AKML if you have a micro). they're designed specifically or aimpoints but work with several optics. $135

-Vortex Strikefire optic (saving pennies for aimpoint M2 or 3) 4moa red/green, no parallax beyond 50', cheap 2x screw-in included. $140

I know it's kind of like dressing up a pig but I like it.

Sighting in and checking zero hold after re-mount in the morning. Wish me luck.

R

rayzer007

yz9890 said:
I know it's kind of like dressing up a pig but I like it.

Nothing wrong with that YZ! There were a lot of dressed up pigs that I used to like! ;) :D

Ray

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
last 4 shots during the 100yd sight in were pretty good. 3 right at 2 o'clock an inch from center and a flyer about 1" right. ran out of ammo. might give it another click left and down but I may just leave it. seems pretty good to me. 4 moa dot covers the entire bullseye at 100 yds anyway. forgot to check if it holds zero after being removed and reinstalled. I'll let you know.
uru8a8yr.jpg

(don't tell the range I soiled their precious floor with Russian steel)

Fred_Import

Woodsman
Mar 20, 2010
SoCal
Question for you yz - I have the same dot sight on my AR. I noticed that the dot, whether using red or green, is not a perfect circle. Instead it is kind of 'spidery' - sorry, just can't think of a better word. I know that folks who have an astigmatism will have trouble with red dot sights, but to the best of my knowledge, I don't have it.

Is your dot (red/and or green) a nice round circle?

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
I did notice it was kind of messy in my kitchen when I opened it but when I use it beyond a few feet outdoors its a clean circle. I'm not sure why there would be a difference at very close range and then longer but there seems to be.

I like how the dot teaches you to shoot with both eyes open if you close the front cap.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Fred said:
Question for you yz - I have the same dot sight on my AR. I noticed that the dot, whether using red or green, is not a perfect circle. Instead it is kind of 'spidery' - sorry, just can't think of a better word. I know that folks who have an astigmatism will have trouble with red dot sights, but to the best of my knowledge, I don't have it.

Is your dot (red/and or green) a nice round circle?
I use an EOTech EXPS2-0 on my AR-15. I know I have an astigmatism in my right (dominant) eye and that does degrade the quality of the dot when I'm using the EOTech sight. The astigmatism does not cause me problems in everyday situations, so I seldom wear the glasses that corrects for the astigmatism. However, if I wear those glasses while shooting I find the EOTech's 1MOA dot better defined and smaller relative to the target. For close quarters combat, the difference would be negligible.

D

Denny4kids

I really like your setup and would like one just like it! I have an old school side mount and need to use a cheek rest because the sight is high. Looks like the AK sights are only seen in the bottom part of the new optic and I like that. Den

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
I like it. the others I looked at were very tall. I looked in to the railed dust cover but didn't want to do any drilling to make it stable enough for an optic. but I don't know if a railed dust cover could even mount an optic that low unless the after market ones are lower than stock somehow. the Royally Screwed mounts (any side mount probably) make the rifle a bit bulky around the receiver but it certainly isn't in the way.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
noticed I posted a couple of photos with my SN clearly readable. probably no big deal but who knows what some of you crazies would do with that delicate info. ;)
(thanks Skip)

8e5e9u8e.jpg
qyryjy8u.jpg