A new rifle may be in my future

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store
M

mukwah

Can't seem to hook up to the link Bigdog. Trying from my Droid but no luck. I'll again when I get to my laptop. Really like to see it!???

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
You can also see it on the Ruger website. It is the Mini 14 target version, but it is the one with the Hogue stock. I don't like thumbhole stocks.

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
bigdogdaddy said:
You can also see it on the Ruger website. It is the Mini 14 target version, but it is the one with the Hogue stock. I don't like thumbhole stocks.
This one gets my vote bud. On my list, and it looks" kicking". Good luck with your choice BDD.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I am leaning pretty hard that direction as of now. It seems that Ruger has made some improvements to all of the Mini 14 barrels and the target model takes it one step further with the heavy barrel and tuner. I need two more things though: 1. I need to go handle one. 2. I need to put together the cash.

Of course when I run into the right deal you never know what I may bring home.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
One additional consideration you might want to think about, BD, is the chambering of the rifle you choose. If you buy a rifle chambered for .223 Remington, you should NEVER use any military surplus 5.56x45 ammo in it. The military ammo is designed to be used in a 5.56 chamber which has a longer free-bore than a .223 chamber. The result of using 5.56 ammo in a .223 chamber is a good potential for overly high chamber pressures. If you have a rifle chambered for 5.56, though, you can use any .223 ammo as well.

M

mukwah

The Mini 14 is chambered for the 5.56 according to the Ruger website.That is a plus for this rifle!

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Thanks guys. I was aware that there was a difference between the two but recently researched it a little deeper to find out why. You are correct mukwah, the Ruger Mini 14 manual says that both are acceptable for the Mini 14. It has a lot of things going for it AND it is a Ruger, which for me is a big plus.

Pops

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Maine
bigdogdaddy: I have a Mini 14 (182 series, made in 1982 - 1983. I put an Amega scope mount on it and a Leopold extended eye relief scope on it. a really nice shooter! :D

Sarge

Woodsman
Jun 15, 2012
Florida
I've got a Mini-14 and an AR-15. Both are great rifles. Whatever you decide to do, you can't go wrong!