A day at the home range (with pictures)

GA Firing Line

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Some of you have asked about pictures of the home range. Here it is. There are normally two more steel plates on each side of the orange gong but they were taken down and had a wet coat of paint on them when I took the pictures.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Now for the actual report. I shot 4 guns today, 2 that I had bought recently and had never fired. I put 90 rounds through the NRA model Mini 14. 50 reloads and 40 PMC bronze. What a hoot! Beat up the gong pretty bad and made the Gatorade bottle disappear over the dirt berm. As reported, I had just bought it and did not know what to expect. Iron sights at 60 yards were dead on. No adjustment required. Shot 107 rounds through the new LC9. 100 PMC Bronze and 7 Critical Defense. As some of you know I had owned one of those before and sold it to a buddy. It performed as expected. Shot it mostly at 10 yards but could ring the gong at 25 yards most any time I slowed down and really tried. The red gong is a little smaller than a paper plate. Shot 20 rounds through my buddies AR 15. First time I have ever shot anything with a "green dot" optic. I don't know jack about AR's but it was fun putting the green dot on the bouncing ball target. Then since my buddy was really struggling with the LC9 I broke out the Browning Buck Mark to get his confidence back. He had been putting all of his LC9 shots in the dirt but he was soon ringing the steel with the little .22 with a big smile on his face. It was a great time and now I need to break out the cleaning kit.

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Is that the end of your property behind the berm? Seems like the berm is a little short in the event of a higher shot. I never did finish my range but my berm is right near a property line. In TX it is illegal to shoot across a property line. So my berm is a little higher and I was thinking about a double thick wall of railroad ties on the top of that.

M

mukwah

Ooooh.....now I'm really jealous BDD!!!!!!!

Sent from my Droid RAZR using my trigger finger!

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Note bad. I had one back on a farm in the late 90's that was similar. Except I used some logs and loads of sand to enforce the rear berm.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
lws380 said:
Is that the end of your property behind the berm? Seems like the berm is a little short in the event of a higher shot.

No. That is the end of my yard. My property goes farther back and my woods borders on another woods behind it.

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
bigdogdaddy said:
lws380 said:
Is that the end of your property behind the berm? Seems like the berm is a little short in the event of a higher shot.

No. That is the end of my yard. My property goes farther back and my woods borders on another woods behind it.

Blast away. Like you needed my permission!

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
It was a fair and good question. I will eventually make it a little wider and taller. Just waiting for somebody doing construction near my house so I can swoop in and grab more dirt! I would like to have rimfire dueling tree on one end and centerfire dueling tree on the other end.