77gr Sierra Tipped MKs

Howard Law

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Were you using the new Bob Jones sights?
Yes. They work well focusing the front sight but I would have some trouble at the end of the day picking up the target in lower light. It was ok for high contrast targets like the ones above, but in a target id and ranging exercise, looking for IDPA targets wearing acus for instance, it was a bit of a problem.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
Yes. They work well focusing the front sight but I would have some trouble at the end of the day picking up the target in lower light. It was ok for high contrast targets like the ones above, but in a target id and ranging exercise, looking for IDPA targets wearing acus for instance, it was a bit of a problem.

Ok cool... Good info. Were you shooting a 20 inch 1/7 twist AR rifle? with the 77's?

Kyle Turner

Formerly "Palmettomoon"
Aug 16, 2015
Macon
Zip code
I don't know why but I was a little surprised at the performance of Free's PMC Bronze when compared to handloads. I've used PMC Bronze for years in 55 grain for old 1 in 12 twist barrels but I have newfound respect for the Korean stuff. I think Freedom was more surprised than even me.

I know this thread was about 77 SMKs but if you can get over to the CMP Marksmanship Park OR an Appleseed, you should go!

Reactions: freedom

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I don't know why but I was a little surprised at the performance of Free's PMC Bronze when compared to handloads. I've used PMC Bronze for years in 55 grain for old 1 in 12 twist barrels but I have newfound respect for the Korean stuff. I think Freedom was more surprised than even me.

I know this thread was about 77 SMKs but if you can get over to the CMP Marksmanship Park OR an Appleseed, you should go!
It has honestly surprised me too, but that Bergara barrel really likes the PMC.

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
I had a scoped .556/.223 bolt gun that that shot PMC bronze almost as well as any handload that I could devise from 50 grains on up off a bench. The day last year that I learned to properly use irons was the end of my optics use on most rifles, and was the end of my obsession with bolt guns; as well as the realization that you don't need a bench or bipod for most any shooting task. Thanks @freedom for documenting your project and sharing it with us.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
Its funny so many people talk shit about PMC bronze, I dont have a problem with it... I did shoot some cheep Russian Silver Bear that a buddy of mine happen to be filming at 100 yards, that shit was "Crazy Ivan" and would loop and spin and keyhole... Didnt have any issues with Tula steel, but stay away from Silver Bear.