14 days is enough

GA Firing Line
H

Hoss

Welcome home. We were just gone for 10 days and I was very happy to get home.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
The last couple vacations we took my wife and I agreed that 5 days is the absolute longest we ever want to be gone. Were homebodies to begin with, so being gone for more than 3 or 4 days makes us want to go home.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
The last couple vacations we took my wife and I agreed that 5 days is the absolute longest we ever want to be gone. Were homebodies to begin with, so being gone for more than 3 or 4 days makes us want to go home.
I think I like to have either 7 day vacations, or more relaxed but month or longer trips. I tend to dislike how short vacation never lets you get into the culture.

I was lucky enough to meet up with some of My Italian friends in italy that I spent a good deal of time with in 2011.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Yea study abroad is kind of a rare experience. I'd love to find a job that let me travel around for extended periods of time.
ive had friends that traveled alot for work. They said it got old really quick.

Ideally I would travel for a few days every few months. But there isnt much travel in my line of work.

H

Hoss

Yea study abroad is kind of a rare experience. I'd love to find a job that let me travel around for extended periods of time.
I did this for about 10 years. I would fly out and have a day to find lodging. After that it was usually a 2-3 month stay. The money was incredible but flying from Atlanta to Santiago staying 3mos then flying straight to Belfast for a month then on to Stuttgart for another 5 weeks and so on... got old real quick

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Welcome back. You'll have to work 80 hours a week to catch up on all your work!

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
do you get the freedom to kind of sink into the culture of the towns you stayed in? or was it pretty much base life?

You have the freedom if you so choose...I lived about 30 mins from base in Germany and aside from the occasional F-16 flying overhead you'd never know there were 12k Americans living 20 miles away. The village I lived in had a population of 351 when I lived there. I spent many nights in the local bar and was accepted into the village enough to walk behind the counter and pour my own biers if the bar tender was busy. In fact, I was living in a neighboring village when I started hanging out in D-feld...they like me so much they basically "made" a room available for me to rent and live there. It was glorious. I was invited to many, many German parties were I was the only American.

I felt bad for the people that looked at living in Germany as a burden and stayed on base most of the time.