What causes a light strike?

American Revival Apparel Company

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Yeah Ill have to check. I dont recall lubing it in at least the past year or so though.
The armorer I talked to said to periodically spray some gun scrubber through the channel. They call the hole at the the bottom of the channel the "shit hole", where any lube or residue can be flushed out. The fit with the firing pin and the channel is relatively tight, and any lube will cause some hydraulic pressure to build up, and could cause a light strike.

erkinator 2

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
Never lol. Maybe I should try that... The inside is so bad I dont even wanna have to open it up and see the extent of it.

thats why my brother and i shared the cost of an ultrasonic cleaner. Man, it gets everything out without disassembling trigger parts.

erkinator 2

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
Yeah, kinda wanted to see how long itd go lol. I even mentioned to the guy at Glock not to clean anything he didnt have to in order to do his job. Its been swimming with me several times in an OWB in Allatoona, oh and also at the bottom of a cooler of beer (in the ice water) for somewhere around 12 hours while floating down the river up in Blue Ridge.

Doesnt that count as cleaning?

Being in Allatoona yes, blue ridge no. water is too clean

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
One other thing- Winchester primers are notorious for having harder than average primer cups. They're also known to be a slightly hotter primer than CCI/Remington/etc.

There's your reloading trivia for the day.

I also agree with what everyone else said- gunk in the firing pin channel could be a problem. Since I've started shooting the G17 suppressed all the time, it has been getting incredibly dirty. I should really check that thing- never had a light strike that I didn't blame on the ammo though.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
One other thing- Winchester primers are notorious for having harder than average primer cups. They're also known to be a slightly hotter primer than CCI/Remington/etc.

There's your reloading trivia for the day.

I also agree with what everyone else said- gunk in the firing pin channel could be a problem. Since I've started shooting the G17 suppressed all the time, it has been getting incredibly dirty. I should really check that thing- never had a light strike that I didn't blame on the ammo though.
Ahhhh see about a thousand or more of those 9,000 have been suppressed too... Likely starting to finally get gummed up in there.

00formula6spd

Frontiersman
Jul 13, 2015
Lilburn Ga.
Zip code
I have a Glock 19 with about 9,000 or so rounds through it. About a year ago I was at the Glock factory in Smyrna for something else and went ahead and asked them to give it a once over. He said it looked surprisingly good in and out other than one single spring that was about half way worn out according to him. He replaced it and sent me on my way.

Well a few months ago I had a few light strikes with Winchester white box 100 round packs of 9mm. I thought it was weird, but it fired a few other types of ammo with no issues.

Then yesterday I was shooting and like 30% of WWB was light striking. I tried some Federal, not one issue. I trioed some Hornady, not one issue. So then I put the WWB in my Glock 43, not one single issue either.

Anyone know why the hell one gun in particular would light strike with one type of ammo?
I would run it back by Glock when I have a chance and tell them whats going on with it now. Let them make it like new. Thats just me.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I would run it back by Glock when I have a chance and tell them whats going on with it now. Let them make it like new. Thats just me.
Yeah I'll rip it apart first. It's likely self inflicted from never taking care of it. I'm carrying my 17 for the time being since I know that one works with all ammo.

I'll report back tonight.

Sent from my Obamaphone on Tapatalk

Reactions: Righter13

erkinator 2

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
Never thought a Glock was hard to completely strip down?

Me no like the little parts, and our revolvers get cleaner also. Its all around way to clean and lube where no man can go.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
f52269a6cb762c820ab61e7e856fb057.jpg

cc3b81480a167540fe0f865f09e35b10.jpg

Sent from my Obamaphone on Tapatalk