What causes a light strike?

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I have a Glock 19 with about 9,000 or so rounds through it. About a year ago I was at the Glock factory in Smyrna for something else and went ahead and asked them to give it a once over. He said it looked surprisingly good in and out other than one single spring that was about half way worn out according to him. He replaced it and sent me on my way.

Well a few months ago I had a few light strikes with Winchester white box 100 round packs of 9mm. I thought it was weird, but it fired a few other types of ammo with no issues.

Then yesterday I was shooting and like 30% of WWB was light striking. I tried some Federal, not one issue. I trioed some Hornady, not one issue. So then I put the WWB in my Glock 43, not one single issue either.

Anyone know why the hell one gun in particular would light strike with one type of ammo?

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
I've had less than stellar experience with WWB in the past too. I just don't buy it anymore.
I too have had issues with WWB. My only two issues with a Glock have been with crap Federal reloads and WWB....like a lot of it. Click, nothing, let it sit pointed down range for 30 seconds, manually ejected the round, it fed the next one, click, same thing again and again. Dumped the rounds out of the mag, swapped ammo and no more issues. I don't buy it now either.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I too have had issues with WWB. My only two issues with a Glock have been with crap Federal reloads and WWB....like a lot of it. Click, nothing, let it sit pointed down range for 30 seconds, manually ejected the round, it fed the next one, click, same thing again and again. Dumped the rounds out of the mag, swapped ammo and no more issues. I don't buy it now either.
Yupp, that was my experience yesterday. Its just weird to me that its gotten noticeably worse over time and only happens with one gun.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Yupp, that was my experience yesterday. Its just weird to me that its gotten noticeably worse over time and only happens with one gun.
Could be pistol related, you never know. I also used WWB behind a crap box of Federal reloads my buddies were shooting. We started having issues with them in a G17 and G19, swapped to WWB and no issues...both have left a bad taste in my mouth.

Surprisingly though, the cheap steel cases blazer has been great for me. Dirty, but cheap and goes bang.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Could be pistol related, you never know. I also used WWB behind a crap box of Federal reloads my buddies were shooting. We started having issues with them in a G17 and G19, swapped to WWB and no issues...both have left a bad taste in my mouth.

Surprisingly though, the cheap steel cases blazer has been great for me. Dirty, but cheap and goes bang.
Haha yupp, the only 'cheap' ammo Ive ever had a problem with was Monarch. NEVER again... About 30-40% of it didnt fire in 9mm and about 15% of it didnt fire in .223

All my other cheapo steel cased stuff has pretty much all been fine.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
When was the last time you gave it a really deep clean to get junk out of the firing pin channel? I had problems once with a Shield and that fixed it.

Reactions: Righter13

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
When was the last time you gave it a really deep clean to get junk out of the firing pin channel? I had problems once with a Shield and that fixed it.
Never lol. Maybe I should try that... The inside is so bad I dont even wanna have to open it up and see the extent of it.

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
Agreed, I had a XD a few years back when froglube first hit the market. Tried it out and all was fine till it got into the striker channel during the winter and gummed up.

I learned two lessons. 1) froglube sucks in cold.
2) keep the striker channel clear.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Agreed, I had a XD a few years back when froglube first hit the market. Tried it out and all was fine till it got into the striker channel during the winter and gummed up.

I'll give it a shot and take some pics tonight so anyone with a little OCD around here can cry at how long its been since I cleaned that thing lol.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
You really should deep clean it every so often.
Yeah, kinda wanted to see how long itd go lol. I even mentioned to the guy at Glock not to clean anything he didnt have to in order to do his job. Its been swimming with me several times in an OWB in Allatoona, oh and also at the bottom of a cooler of beer (in the ice water) for somewhere around 12 hours while floating down the river up in Blue Ridge. Doesnt that count as cleaning?

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code

No, Floglube sucks. period

Reactions: Righter13

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
No, Floglube sucks. period
Yeah, I have bottle of it that someone gave me for free once in a trade. Used it once in a Glock 42 and the gun immediately had issues resetting the trigger. No fucking idea how. But hell if a deep clean with brake cleaner didnt make the gun start running flawless again.....

Reactions: Wallace

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
Yeah, kinda wanted to see how long itd go lol. I even mentioned to the guy at Glock not to clean anything he didnt have to in order to do his job. Its been swimming with me several times in an OWB in Allatoona, oh and also at the bottom of a cooler of beer (in the ice water) for somewhere around 12 hours while floating down the river up in Blue Ridge. Doesnt that count as cleaning?
Can't wait to see the inside....

Reactions: dial1911

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Yeah, I have bottle of it that someone gave me for free once in a trade. Used it once in a Glock 42 and the gun immediately had issues resetting the trigger. No fucking idea how. But hell if a deep clean with brake cleaner didnt make the gun start running flawless again.....
Could have been the FL or debris, but I have seen so so so many issue that have their root cause with that stuff. Slip 2000 or CLP in my AR's with the latter getting the most use. My Glocks get just the 6 recommended contact points with a CLP precision pin. No more then that.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
If you get lube in the firing pin channel, that can slow it down enough to cause light strikes.