Looks like I built a AR 9 now......

American Revival Apparel Company

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
So I am getting ready to start gathering the last of the parts for my build. I currently have a pistol buffer tube that I was planning on using with this build (till I get it SBR). The only thing I am running into is the recommended buffer. I know @PewPewPewCo recommended the silent buffer, but I was looking around and found this ( https://newfrontierarmory.com/shop/buffer-spacer-9mm-40/ )attachment for the buffer. Is this worth looking into or should I just get a ar9 specific buffer.
Or you could put 10 quarters down the tube. You're welcome.

Got that idea from NWS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cudruln

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
So I am getting ready to start gathering the last of the parts for my build. I currently have a pistol buffer tube that I was planning on using with this build (till I get it SBR). The only thing I am running into is the recommended buffer. I know @PewPewPewCo recommended the silent buffer, but I was looking around and found this ( https://newfrontierarmory.com/shop/buffer-spacer-9mm-40/ )attachment for the buffer. Is this worth looking into or should I just get a ar9 specific buffer.
Cmmg's 9mm buffer worked great for me.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Also I don't recommend the silent buffer for a 9mm build, that requires a special JP bolt

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I think I will try the piece I listed a couple post back from NFA that allows the use of any buffer. Plus it is only $7 so I wouldn't be out much if I don't like it. That way I will be able to use the parts I already have on hand.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
So are yall just running a standard buffer and spring with yo two fiddy

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Also I don't recommend the silent buffer for a 9mm build, that requires a special JP bolt
I'm running mine with a Tactical Ambush bolt.

Every 9mm bolt I've seen(I haven't seen that many) is like mine. You just pop the pin out and pull out the inside to run with the silent spring. Like this.

9mm bolt.jpe

Last edited:

becausefu

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
my house
The Colt copy bolts will not work with a JP captured spring. The bolt itself is shorter than standard, there is an extension that slides into the bolt to bring it to the necessary length. You can't remove it or it will be too short. The good thing with the colt style bolts is that the extension is a solid piece adding weight to the bolt where you do not have to use a heavier buffer.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Also if I go with the JP silent buffer the BCG would need to have an open central channel on the non bolt side. What are the odds in the PSA bolt that I bought would actually accommodate the JP buffer. @Mac11FA When you get some free time will you check it out for me and let me know if it is an open channel bolt.
It looks like yours has the bolt extension piece in there. I will be tearing it down this weekend and will take a picture of the exploded view. Sorry, things have just been way crazy at work.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
It looks like yours has the bolt extension piece in there. I will be tearing it down this weekend and will take a picture of the exploded view. Sorry, things have just been way crazy at work.
No problem I am just going to run a regular buffer so no need.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Finally came home and got some much needed bench time this evening. Happy to say the lower is ready to roll. Just need the upper now. 20151210_220425.jpg

Reactions: Red Dawn

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Thanks, my friend. Phase 2 of this little experiment will be building the area back up slightly and I want to make sure it will still clear. Stay tuned as it will be interesting!
Well, I was finally able to finish phase 2 of this bolt modification. I stripped the PSA phosphate finish from the bolt and it now wears a Teflon impregnated Nickel finish which I did myself. I used an Electroless process which covers with a way more uniform finding thickness and coveragewise than using electricity.

20160303_211538.jpg

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Looks awesome @Mac11FA now to just get the rest of the parts for the build and I will be in business. Thanks again

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
The firing pins are in. Need to get with you on a mailing address to send to in light of recent developments.

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
A big thanks to @boss_hawg for teaching me how to swap out the barrel on my AR9 build. Bo is a busy guy right now and he took time to help a brother out and it's much appreciated.

Shot this guy today and everything was perfect. Thanks again Bo!

df63d90f2c9184c20ed49fb3594d700b.jpg