Looks like I built a AR 9 now......

Faktory 47

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Thanks to @DoglegArms I am going to start a new adventure. So somebody learn me something new. I have done absolutely no research at all on the subject. So what are somethings to look for and pass on and anything else. Thanks in advance and it looks like I will be busy reading tonight.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
I'm on the same adventure! I've got a PSA 10.5 upper/bolt/mag block built AR9 currently, but really wanted one that would use the mags I already have a pile of...

Anyway, I was doing some reading on the New Frontier Armory site and apparently I'm going to need at least a different bolt. Which makes sense after thinking about it because the bottom surface of the bolt has to be able to ride over the magazine.

I have a lower parts kit laying around (found one more I didn't remember). I also have a pistol buffer tube (although I think, well I'm sure, this lower is getting SBR'd after I make sure it works well as a pistol). Dammit I'm going to need another Geissele trigger. Just occurred to me.

Reactions: Cudruln

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
Be sure to bring that to Macon. I've almost built one a number of times, but always talk myself out of it after a full cart.

I'll have it and the .300BLK pistol. Had the ATF website not deleted part of my address when I sent in the last SBR, they'd be wearing a stock... however they are pistols for the time being.

I've literally had the AR9 parts laying around since Christmas and haven't assembled it. A FFL I use was audited by the ATF and they called me because they were missing one of my 4473's... long story short, I helped them out and got a couple of lowers at a discount. Finally built another one as a pistol. Taking it to the gun club tomorrow for the first time- hope it works!

Reactions: Cudruln and freedom

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
What has it been costing to toss one together?

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
What has it been costing to toss one together?

Well, I could certainly have done it cheaper- I bought a PSA kit with the railed 10.5 upper, SBX brace, lower parts/buffer tube/etc. I think that kit with the mag (all parts except for the lower) was about $800. Add in a $45 Anderson lower and a $50ish Bushnell red dot and it looks like it's about $900.

I bought the PSA kit when they were still relatively new. Since then the prices have dropped at least a hundred bucks.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Well, I could certainly have done it cheaper- I bought a PSA kit with the railed 10.5 upper, SBX brace, lower parts/buffer tube/etc. I think that kit with the mag (all parts except for the lower) was about $800. Add in a $45 Anderson lower and a $50ish Bushnell red dot and it looks like it's about $900.

I bought the PSA kit when they were still relatively new. Since then the prices have dropped at least a hundred bucks.
Ok cool, just curious how it compares to some other 9mm carbines on the market. Love the pcc's .

Reactions: dial1911

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
I really like the PCCs too- I want a .45, but the options are really limited right now (well, limited in the range I'm willing to buy).

They're out of my price range, but does Troy make one of those really short stocks with the combo bcg/buffer for 9mm? That and a 6 or 7" barrel would make a really nice carbine.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
They're out of my price range, but does Troy make one of those really short stocks with the combo bcg/buffer for 9mm? That and a 6 or 7" barrel would make a really nice carbine.

As soon as I'm sure this thing works as it should, I've got to decide if I'm going to sell it complete (and take a loss) or spend more money to send the barrel out to be shortened to about 7" and threaded 1/2x28. It's 1/2X36 (I think) now and I don't have a single can mount that will work on it.

The thread pitch isn't really important since I'm buying fixed mounts either way.

Reactions: Cudruln and freedom

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
I don't really want to haul the chrono to the range tomorrow, but I will do my best to get a range report posted for the current build. It's not going to be terribly useful without some info on the ammo I'm planning to use- and that ammo is my 115 grain reloads. But I guess some pictures and a general report on function would be interesting.

Once I get the new lower from @DoglegArms I can do a comparison. I really hope both work equally well.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
I have an unneeded 1/2x36 piston for a tirant 9. I sold only x36 barrel...so...

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
So a far as a lpk is there anything special I need to look for, or will a general lpk work? Obviously I know the upper is the difference, as well as the bcg. Thanks in advance

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
So a far as a lpk is there anything special I need to look for, or will a general lpk work? Obviously I know the upper is the difference, as well as the bcg. Thanks in advance

Only based on what I saw from New Frontier's website, there will be a few left over parts, but you shouldn't need anything extra. There will not be a bolt hold open on the last round with this lower from what they said. I'm still unclear on what hammer they plan to use- some are notched at the top to clear the BCG's upper edge and some are not. I'm not informed enough on the AR9 game to know what's what with the hammer.

Also, regarding the bolt hold open- I think they incorporated the bolt hold open into their proprietary 9mm upper receiver. Completely guessing based on their info about the lower.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
You'll need a bolt that is cut for Glock mags. Not sure on sources at the moment since I haven't been keeping up with 9mm ar stuff

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
This sounds like a good project you could have a lot of fun with.

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
PSA AR9 Upper 16" w/ BCG $299
http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...mm-16-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle.html

10.5" w/ BCG $329
http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...r-with-bcg-and-charging-handle/category/4113/

Another 10.5" w/ BCG $349
http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...sqr-7-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle.html

Not sure what a non-ramped or ramped BCG is though. I'll ask New Frontier Armory when their BCG is coming out.

Is the buffer tube assembly the same as an AR15?

@Cudruln if you have a trigger, I probably have the rest of a LPK in extra parts.

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
Off topic a little but I have Gemtech 9mm multimounts on Form 3. They come with mounts for Glocks. If you want to to suppressed, I'll give a good a deal on them $399. SS has them for $460.