Yep, PF9

Howard Law

Northern_Son

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
The Heart of Ohio
Hope you all had a good holiday. The wife adopted the LCP so I have needed another carry piece for those times the G26 is just too big. I have been chewing on another LCP or an LC9. I wanted the 9 but I just really hate the trigger.

New Year's Eve found me in the local gun store and I found a Kel-Tec PF9 for about $70 less than the LC9. Side by side, I liked everything about the Ruger better except...the trigger. For me, the PF9 pulls easier and breaks sooner and that made the deal. I rolled the dice on the Kel-Tec.

I brought it home, put it in the safe and immediately got too busy to touch it until last weekend. I did a quick strip and the poor thing was delivered dry as a bone. I oiled it up a little and took it to the range to break it in on on a box of WWB 115 gr fmj. One of my least favorite boxes of ammo but it was what Wal-Mart had Saturday.

All 50 rounds went bang. There was one minor glitch. I intentionally fired it a few times without the magazine in it and one round failed to eject causing a stove pipe type malfunction. I have no issue with that at this point as I consider it an extreme circumstance and it did fire.

I found it similar to firing the LCP except it has sights and it's easier to hang on to. I find the magazine doesn't seem to go in as instinctively as on the Glock or Ruger and I'm not sure why that is. I'll have to work on it. It shoots four inches above point of aim at 7 yards and that simply will not do. I understand there is a way to adjust for elevation and I'll have to figure that out too.

Overall I'm pretty pleased. The price was right and it works. Now, any IWB holder recomendations?

Blessings.

R

rayzer007

Northern_Son said:
Now, any IWB holder recomendations?

I would recommend a Remora; it will serve IWB and pocket. Currently a 25% sale - type in "newyear25" in the coupon box when ordering. The plain holster will run you about $20, a great deal!

Ray

millsriver

Hunter
Jun 21, 2012
North Carolina
A PF9 followed me home one day to be introduced to my LC9. I am having a hard time figuring out which one I like best. So far seems equal all around. I ordered an Aholster IWB for the PF9 which should arrive in the next day or two. I already have an Aholster for my LC9 and for my LCP, both in IWB. I have owned pistols and many holsters for over 55 years and have to say I have never like a holster bettern than these. Eveyone has different likes and dislikes, but you might give them a try. The Aholsters run about $60 shipped, but I will wear out before they do.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
I've read a lot of bad reviews of the PF9 but I've never had any issue with mine and neither has anyone I know that owns one. They're not quite as refined an an LC9 but they function just as well in my experience. At a cheaper price also. A great little gun and a good alternative to those that like the LC9 but don't want the additional safety features it comes with.

Verticoli

Personal philosophy? Clothing optional.
Jun 10, 2012
Fl's west coast
005-4.jpg
I liked mine 'till the barrel hood peened the crap outa the slide. The dealer got a new slide and it hasn't run sinse. I did get some nice holster systems for it that I'll post pics of later.

Northern_Son

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
The Heart of Ohio
Ouch! That was the kind of story I was afraid of. There do seem to be some lemons out there. I'll be looking it over closely this weekend for signs of early wear after the range session.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
The PF 9 can benefit from taking a knife and scraping down the seam lines makes a lot nicer and won't cut your fingers .

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
RICHGCOOP said:
The PF 9 can benefit from taking a knife and scraping down the seam lines makes a lot nicer and won't cut your fingers .

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

yep. some quality time with a sheet of 200grit sand paper is a must for most Keltecs.