Whats Your Gotta Have Survival Firearm!

GA Firing Line

Dirtbike

NRA Life Member (Everybody should be!)
Feb 3, 2016
So if you could only have ONE firearm for survival what would it be? It could only be a handgun or rifle or shotgun, which would ya pick and why...

Personally for me it would be my Savage .22 lr why? well simply put the versatility that a .22 offers in terms of affordability, FOOD being the most important of course and the ability to tote around a couple bricks of ammunition if need be.

So in a nutshell that's my thoughts what's your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
If I was in a true survival situation, not a zombie apocalypse or Red Dawn scenario, it is more about food than tactical or defensive fires. Flexibility and reliability are key. My go to survival gun sits in my safe. Savage 24F. .223Rem/12ga. combination gun. Using sub-cal conversions and shotgun conversion inserts I could fire anything from .22LR or 22Mag through the top barrel or .410-12ga in the bottom. .223 groups at 1.5-2in at 100yds. Synthetic stock and it doesn't get much simpler than a break action with manual select firing pins. It could take anything from a wild boar to coyote to deer to rabbit or squirrel to grouse and pheasant. The ultimate utility gun.

Dirtbike

Feb 3, 2016
I've never seen them before but that would be a all purpose gun right there!

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
The Savage 24 series is most commonly seen in a .22LR over .410 configuration. However they made everything from .22mag/.410; .22mag/20ga; 30-30win/12ga, 22Hornet/20ga, and a a few others as well. They recently released a updated model with a synthetic stock called the Savage 42 which is .22LR/.410ga.

Pretty cool little combo gun and much more eye pleasing than the Springfield M6!

HOG2K

Hobbyist Photographer
Jan 30, 2016
Yeah, sounds like a weapon that you would HAVE to have around during any situation. Do you have a picture of that thing? I too have never seen something like that.

I would have any 22 rifle, usually a very accurate weapon

Mar 14, 2016
a 12.ga pump like my Mossberg 500, with all the different types of ammo it can get anything Ohio has to offer, deer with slugs, rabbits, raccoon, ducks, geese, with shot shells and home defense with buckshot. fortunately I live in America and can have all the guns I want.

Dirtbike

Feb 3, 2016
[QUOTE="timothy j mcphillips]a 12.ga pump like my Mossberg 500, with all the different types of ammo it can get anything Ohio has to offer, deer with slugs, rabbits, raccoon, ducks, geese, with shot shells and home defense with buckshot. fortunately I live in America and can have all the guns I want.

[/QUOTE]
Amen to that! 2nd Ammendment all the way!