The need to change things in your gun?

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

sammeow

Hunter
Dec 19, 2013
Texas
Ok, something I read recently got me to thinking.
Why would you buy a new hand gun and immediately change quite a few things about it even before trying it out at the range?
And then ask if its a good gun to carry?

Within the last 6 months have had 4 young men (under 40) want to show me their new pistols. All are relatively new to shooting handguns.
2 Glocks with ghost trigger kits installed, one with changed recoil spring and guide rod.
Last took his Sd9VE and put in an apex trigger kit.
All were new!
So, what gives with the need to try to change things even before you give it a chance?
Does anyone else besides me see this happening? And what do you think is the reason?

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
Sammeow I'm with you.
All the bells and whistles will not replace a good honing and stoning and getting used to your gun.
I think a lot of people think all of these duo dads will replace skills.
One thing I can't understand is why anyone would put a heavy spring on a brand new gun and make it harder to rack and make it more difficult for the new gun to expel the casing.
RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
RICHGCOOP said:
All the bells and whistles will not replace a good honing and stoning and getting used to your gun.

I think a lot of people think all of these doo-dads will replace skills.

One thing I can't understand is why anyone would put a heavy spring on a brand new gun and make it harder to rack and make it more difficult for the new gun to expel the casing.
I agree 100% with Rich.

One thing that really bothers me is the companies that sell internal firearms parts to folks with installation instructions knowing very well that the customer often has no idea what they are doing. These folks are often modifying carry weapons and could be putting themselves at serious risk if they ever had to use the weapons.

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Keeps holster makers busy. Especially lasers and changing to big dot or equivalent sights. Let's keep it up! ::)

D

Denny4kids

I love the enthusiasm of a new weapon owner but some do ruin it when their next sentence talks about mods to the weapon. The shooters don't even know what the parts do, just that they read about it on a forum. And they haven't shot the thing yet! Its unsafe to me when a newbie starts messing with an LCP or LC9 trigger! That stuff is borderline junk.
Some AR-15 shooters do the same thing and wind up with a box of accessories that never get used. Den

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
I think Michael Bane on the "Shooting Gallery" showed his latest CW.

It was an LC9 with a very custom red trigger. Sometimes it's hard to NOT notice and then follow suit.

sammeow

Hunter
Dec 19, 2013
Texas
It's one thing to do something after you have put a few hundred rounds through it.
And are familiar with it. It's another to do it because you...... Look! Squirrel!

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
sammeow said:
It's one thing to do something after you have put a few hundred rounds through it.
And are familiar with it. It's another to do it because you...... Look! Squirrel!

I'm not a big fan of making modifications to concealed carry weapons beyond a grip sleeve or CT Laser. I've polished a few up actions up or had it done. But if some newbie wants to start cranking a trigger pull down to 2-3lbs that nuts and could be fatal. (Think: Desert Eagle, 50 cal.)

DSC00013.jpg~original

I picked up a Sony DSC-HX300 Camera yesterday. 20.4 Meg pictures, with a 50x zoom. This "shot" was from 55 yards.

millsriver

Hunter
Jun 21, 2012
North Carolina
Maybe I am just overly cautious, but I would prefer not to be in court explaining why I jazzed up my self defense firearm. Do I really need a "hair trigger" on a DA firearm? Do I really need Zombie Killer paint job? I would prefer to only have to explain that I am a law abiding citizen with a factory condition firearm that was defending myself, period. For range guns, all bets are off; go have fun, but for SD EDC I want serious.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
After shooting many rounds, I upgraded the recoil springs on a number of different guns, and it did improve them along with guide rods that did show to much early signs of degrade. I was glad I did and these made a considerable difference in shooting recoil and wear and tear. I did, after shooting my LC9 with a ton of ammo through it, upgrade to a "BID DOT SIGHT" and was so glad I did. What a difference for me. Well worth the money! I had a gun smith do the work. I hated the trigger of the LCP, and did consider letting the gun smith do a trigger job on the gun. However, when the new model came out with the new trigger, I was quick to buy and glad I did. I speak from experience with the LCP after having shot the original gun over 2000 rds. The new gun is worth the money. On the original gun, I had a hogue grip. However with the new trigger and new gun, I did not add on the New Hogue grip I bought for it, but added the "Traction grips" which gave it a nicer image, good gripe, not as bulky as the Hogue, and with the new trigger which was a VAST IMPROVEMENT over the original model, I felt I no longer needed the Hogue, since the new trigger made it easier to shoot and the fact that I do not intend to shoot the gun as often as I did.