Faktory 47

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
In the middle of a pistol build and began to wonder why not go with a standard barrel nut instead of a proprietary nut. If I change my mind later find a compatible rail that works with the standard barrel nut and done. Are there any setbacks to this setup or is it just personal preference. What are your thoughts.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
in my research and experience, the selection of rails using a standard barrel nut is not that large given the entire population of rails out on the market. most of the ones you see that'll use the standard nut tend to be older designs geared toward agency/department conversions. these were "advanced designs" when most of the rifles on the market shipped with the standard m4/16 plastic hand guards, but nowadays they seem heavy and clunky (yes, i'm looking at you troy alpha/bravo rail). also many of them require cutting off the delta ring which - though it's not difficult - is not my favorite thing to do. (i hate having a cutting tool that close to my rifle).

i typically find a rail i like and stick with it. i will return one (or sell it) before i install if it doesn't fit my needs. or...i just use it as excuse for another build.

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Proprietary cause it only takes 5 seconds to pull a barrel nut.

Or go with a company that makes a variety of rails that have the same barrel nut.

Or just bruild a new upper every time you want a new rail lol

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Yeah, proprietary all the way. I mean, once you get a good QUALITY rail, how often are you gonna swap it really? I like the Midwest Industries rails. Their lightweight is awesome. Maybe more money than you’re wanting to spend, but buy once cry once.

Reactions: Red Dawn

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Thanks guys for the input. I'm still torn on it. I've got a 11.5" carbine I want a pinned FSB on and a buis but now I'm considering a low pro super gas block I can pin on for a free float. Any idea if the pins are same size or in same location. I do want it pinned for suppressed use.
Well I may have to just trial and error it at the cost of my wallet but I like building these.

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Thanks guys for the input. I'm still torn on it. I've got a 11.5" carbine I want a pinned FSB on and a buis but now I'm considering a low pro super gas block I can pin on for a free float. Any idea if the pins are same size or in same location. I do want it pinned for suppressed use.
Well I may have to just trial and error it at the cost of my wallet but I like building these.
They make carbine length free float handguard’s that will work with the front sight. Hold on and I’ll post a few links.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Why is this not key mod or m lock and $100 geesh

4ac46c9bd87a6584ebc572a20b5bf67e.jpg

Click Here

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Pinned gas blocks are never interchangeable unfortunately. The super gas block just uses a single larger pin than the A2. You can cut down and trim up an a2 to fit under a rail. Ive done it before

Reactions: Red Dawn

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Pinned gas blocks are never interchangeable unfortunately. The super gas block just uses a single larger pin than the A2. You can cut down and trim up an a2 to fit under a rail. Ive done it before
Good to know they are different in size it's hard to put metal back without a welder. LoL

I may look at something like this to go with FSB for now and see how that goes.

AIM Sports

IMG_4750.JPG

Reactions: chance

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I'd like to spend some time with an injection mold and CNC machine. Too bad I didn't go to school for that I'd have some fun creating handguards for SBR with carbine gas systems. LOL

Reactions: Rwjeter

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
And I know you.

Should I start drawing plans with my pencils. Handguards for every occasion and day of the week. Like my wife's shoe collection haha.

Pencil sketches get made into solid models... solid models get made into CAM programs... CAM programs make blocks of metal into cool parts...

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Pencil sketches get made into solid models... solid models get made into CAD programs... CAD programs make blocks of metal into cool parts...

I like your positive forward thinking. That would be pretty dang cool.

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Handguards are tricky. Pretty much every free float style handguard is made from an extrusion. So unless you can get your hands on a small amount of it from a company that makes handguards, its going to be real expensive to get dies made and a mill run done of extrusion profile

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Handguards are tricky. Pretty much every free float style handguard is made from an extrusion. So unless you can get your hands on a small amount of it from a company that makes handguards, its going to be real expensive to get dies made and a mill run done of extrusion profile

Or cut it from XS or XXS pipe sections... I don't have any idea how standard pipe or HSS lines up with handguard dimensions- never had a need to check it out before.

Although I will say that there's no way making your own handguard is going to save any money.

Reactions: chance and Red Dawn

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Yeah I think I'm customizing ones already on the market to fit my needs until I hit the lotto and start my new job customizing guns to specific needs of the community. LoL

Reactions: dial1911