Snafu at the range.

GA Firing Line

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Haven't been able to get to the range lately, so today I took some toys out and was having a good time. I was 10 rounds in to my 4th mag with the 7.62x39 AR when it had it's first ever malfunction. I attempted to clear it, but it wouldn't budge. I dropped the mag and when it hit the bench a round popped out and I noticed it was .223. I unloaded the remaining rounds in the mag and there were 19 of those little bastards in there. So instead of getting butthurt about being an idiot I just sat it aside and went back to the 9mm SBR to finish up the trip.

When I got home I was able to separate the upper from the lower, stick a 5.56 bolt in there and with some serious persuasion, pull the stuck Tulammo .223 round out. The problem is, the last time I bought steel .223 ammo was 4 years ago. It was Wolf and I shot it all up a long time ago. Just within the last year or so I got my first AK and built the 7.62x39 AR. I've purchased a few cases of Tulammo 7.62x39 in that time, but I also made a 500 round order not too long ago. I dumped that 25 boxes on the floor and as fast as I could I loaded them all into mags. I guess in my haste to finish loading 500 rounds, I mindlessly crammed the rogue box of .223 in there without noticing. I know I'm stupid sometimes, but damn, I'm not blind.

In the future I will be checking my ammo orders a little more thoroughly and I probably won't load mags while watching TV. Now I've got to go dump 8-10 loaded mags to check them too. This could have turned out a lot worse and came damn near to being the dumbest thing I've ever done with a firearm.

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I guess I need to start keeping an eye out for this. Luckily I have never had a issue. So did the full round just get stuck or did it fire and the bullet get stuck?

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I guess I need to start keeping an eye out for this. Luckily I have never had a issue. So did the full round just get stuck or did it fire and the bullet get stuck?
The .223 round won't seat all the way in the 7.62, so it leaves the back 4-5mm of the cartridge sticking out of the chamber. I really don't know why it didn't fire. It sure looks like it should have and it probably would have blown the back of that casing apart.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cudruln

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
Not trying to start shit or anything, but you are 100% sure it was a mixup on their end and not yours?

Reactions: Strider12

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Not trying to start shit or anything, but you are 100% sure it was a mixup on their end and not yours?
It was a mixup that there was obviously a box of .223 mixed in the 500 rounds of 7.62 they sent me. I loaded it without noticing. How I didn't notice it, I have no idea. Just not paying attention I guess. Definitely my fault that it ended up in my gun. I was just dumping box after box and cramming magazines full. If you had told me I did that I would have said there was no way I loaded 20 rounds of .223 without noticing, but I did.

Last edited:
H

Hoss

I gave a speech at an NRC luncheon a few years ago and accidentally credited Chadwick and Bohr in the Bremsstrahlung debacle when referring to a neutron intermediate capable particle. Talk about embarrassing.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Glad to hear your fine. You were probably watching football and the GA Bulldog were getting their ass kicked again.

Reactions: Gunsite Grad

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Glad to hear your fine. You were probably watching football and the GA Bulldog were getting their ass kicked again.
Yeah, I'm not a football fan. Knowing me I was probably watching a marathon of How it's Made or something about cars.

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
I gave a speech at an NRC luncheon a few years ago and accidentally credited Chadwick and Bohr in the Bremsstrahlung debacle when referring to a neutron intermediate capable particle. Talk about embarrassing.
05cafea23e801df2cd94274a26d74790.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A

Reactions: Hoss

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I think I've seriously underestimated you....

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Thanks for posting. Helps drive the point home that we can't be too safe when enjoying our sport.

I have a 5.45 AR and only use metal mags for it. All my 5.56 mags are plastic to try to make sure I don't mix the two up.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Thanks for posting. Helps drive the point home that we can't be too safe when enjoying our sport.

I have a 5.45 AR and only use metal mags for it. All my 5.56 mags are plastic to try to make sure I don't mix the two up.
That was the mixup I had actually thought about. But the x39 mags are so curved it would be hard to mix them up. The idea that I might put the wrong ammo in the wrong mag never even crossed my mind until I did it.