Small muzzleloaders

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
Have any of you out there made Small M.L. If so how about posting Pictures.

Here is some that I have made from scratch.

RICHGCOOP

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
BPCapnnBallPercussionEra.jpg~original

LOL…. I have a few replicas and originals from the Black Powder, Percussion Cap n Ball era.

1865-1899BPCartridgeEra2.jpg~original

Then there is the Black Powder Cartridge Era. The cartridge era goes back to 1865, with an early S&W.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I don't have any muzzle-loading firearms, but many years ago I decided to see what the "cowboys" had to deal with and I loaded a box of my .45 Long Colt cartridges with black powder. I shot them in my old Ruger Blackhawk (original action design mimicking the original Colt).

I even touched off one round at an indoor range where I was the only shooter there. Boy was that an experience. You've all seen shoot-em-ups in saloons in the movies but none of those scenes come even close to showing the real conditions of burning black powder in an indoor scenario.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Ruger Old Army Cap-N-Ball .45 Revolver

I shoot Pyrodex out of my old gals. None of the In Door Ranges around here will let you shoot black powder so I have two outdoor ranges I frequent when the urge hits. Here’s a video of a fellow giving a Ruger Old Army a workout. Imagine being in the crowed, already smoke filled rooms (Tobacco and kerosene lanterns) and having a gun fight break out?

ROAs.jpg~original

The first black powder revolver I shot was back in 83, up in North Dakota. I ran into an old fellow who was shooting a replica of a Colt 1847 Walker. Interesting firearm. I think he paid $60. For it.

In 2010 I picked up a Ruger Old Army out in California. Bill Ruger was a black powder fan and from 1975 to 2008 he produced a stainless version. This one was made in 1979 and is a well cared for old range gun.

I also have a second Ruger Old Army, from Montana. She’s a blued beauty, which Ruger manufactured from 1972 to 2008. She’s never been fired. The old boy who bought her kept her in a sock drawer or somewhere safe until I bought it in 2010 from his son. Ruger took a Blackhawk and converted them. He must have been a big Remington fan.

ROADISassemblyComplete2-1.jpg~original

The down side to black powder is cleaning them up afterwards. Due to the corrosive nature of black powder it’s not a back idea to take the grips off on the range afterwards, put the firearm in a plastic bag or two and then spray it down with original Windex, with ammonia. Then when you get home, do a complete disassembly and cleaning. I’ll put off cleaning thoroughly a modern firearm in-between range trips but never a black powder firearm.

Black power throws out a lot of smoke. If you ever get a chance check out W.B. Griffins “Birth of a Nation. It’s an old silent film from 1915. During the film enactors, including some Civil War survivors went out to the battlefields and used black powder weapons, including cannons to give what is credited to be a realistic look at the dark clouds of war on the battle field.

The billowing clouds of smoke turned daylight into darkness and communications were limited. I’ve been to Gettysburg and when Robert E. Lee sent his troops off in what is called Pickets Charge it must have been a real blood bath.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
If you think black powder revolvers put out a lot if smoke try shooting a muzzleloader shotguns.
I have hunted with a double barrel shotgun and a single barrel English shotgun.
I used to shoot once a month all year round with a muzzleloader shotgun at my local muzzleloading club.
I would go to the National muzzleloader shoot down at friendship Indiana shoot a muzzleloader shotgun trap and muzzleloader skeet. Talk about smoke when you have 3 Trap Houses going at once. We would shoot all day then shoot all night.
Can you imagine shooting a hundred bird match with a muzzleloader shotgun.
RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
RICHGCOOP said:
If you think black powder revolvers put out a lot if smoke try shooting a muzzleloader shotguns.
I have hunted with a double barrel shotgun and a single barrel English shotgun.
I used to shoot once a month all year round with a muzzleloader shotgun at my local muzzleloading club.
I would go to the National muzzleloader shoot down at friendship Indiana shoot a muzzleloader shotgun trap and muzzleloader skeet. Talk about smoke when you have 3 Trap Houses going at once. We would shoot all day then shoot all night.
Can you imagine shooting a hundred bird match with a muzzleloader shotgun.
RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

LOL... I sure can... Lots cough, cough, teary eyes and runny noses. But at night one heck of a view....