Shooting to the left by about 1-3 inches

American Revival Apparel Company

David (OHGO)

Tracker
Sep 29, 2016
Finally got to go to the range yesterday and test out my 500SW and new Sig p320 Compact and I'll write more about that later. But I had a consistent issue shooting to the left all day for anything more than 12 feet out. It was so bad my GF actually beat me in a game of scoring... pretty badly I might add.

Anyway, any tips for getting my shot back on track. I probably did 400 rounds yesterday, and up until the last 75 rounds, everything was going way left. One thing I did notice is it seemed to help when I didn't have my arms extended fully and had the gun slightly higher and arms bent, bringing the gun back toward me some.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
Sounds like anticipating recoil, which could be expected with a 500SW. Many people have ideas of how to correct it, but on thing I've found works well is to focus intently on the front sight and as you slowly apply pressure to the trigger rearward, visualize the front sight being pulled back toward the rear sights. Try to really concentrate on pulling the front sight right through the rear sights like a field goal. I've found doing this will concentrate the brain on something other than the break of the trigger while maintaining a good sight picture and smooth trigger pull. It usually works for most people. You may even start with a .22 and this drill to really iron out any anticipation issues before going back to the bigger guns.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
Another possible cause is you're over-gripping the gun with your shooting hand. Given the amount of recoil with a 500S&W, it is quite possible that as you're pulling the trigger you are increasing your grip pressure with your shooting hand.  Increasing your grip strength with your shooting hand will cause the muscles of your forearm to also contract pulling the gun to the left as a right handed shooter.  Generally you'll see low and left, but I have seen it cause just left. 80% grip from the non-dominant hand and 20% grip from the dominant hand is what you're going for.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
Good point Chris. That may very well be the culprit (or even a combination of the two).

HOG2K

Hobbyist Photographer
Jan 30, 2016
Here is something I did when I first started shooting and found myself shooting to the left. I went to the local store, Walmart, Target or where ever you shop at and go buy a wrist brace. Get a good one that will not allow your "LEFT" wrist to break. I am no expert like both T.L and Chris are, but this worked for me. I always found my left wrist would break just a tad to the left when I pulled the trigger. 

Worked for me... good luck.

BTW, I was not shooting a cannon like you are :) :)