Several Current Bills regarding Concealed Carry in Ohio Legislature

Faktory 47

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
Here is a summary of 4 bills that are currently in the Ohio legislature. All four were argued in committee yesterday, June 20. I would guess that some portion of these will get passed (likely in 2018 or possibly this December) but I wouldn't look for all of them to be passed as they are. However it works out, some of these contain MAJOR changes to Ohio concealed carry law.

House Bill 142, sponsored by state Representative Scott Wiggam (R-1), would remove the requirement that a concealed handgun licensee notify a law enforcement officer that they are carrying a concealed handgun when stopped for a law enforcement purpose, like a routine traffic stop.

House Bill 228, sponsored by state Representatives Terry Johnson (R-90) and Sarah LaTourette (R-76), would expand circumstances under which a person has no duty to retreat before using force in self-defense.  Further, this bill would shift the burden of proof to the state, so the state would have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that a person charged with an offense that involved the use of force against another, did not use that force in self-defense.  HB 228 would also reduce certain concealed handgun offenses to minor misdemeanors and eliminate the mandatory posting of signs that warn against the conveyance of a deadly weapon onto specified premises.

House Bill 233, sponsored by state Representative John Becker (R-65), would state that a concealed handgun licensee or qualified military member would not be guilty of violating the firearms prohibition if found carrying a firearm in a prohibited place, but would be asked to leave the property.

House Bill 201, sponsored by state Representatives Ron Hood (R-78) and Thomas Brinkman, Jr. (R-27), would repeal the requirement to obtain a license in order to carry concealed.  The current CHL system would be left intact for those who wish to participate in reciprocal concealed carry permit agreements.  Further, HB 201 would remove the requirement that a licensee notify a law enforcement officer that they are carrying a concealed handgun when stopped for a law enforcement purpose.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
For those following these bills, I was just informed today that H.B. 233 has passed committee and is now heading to the House floor for consideration. Honestly, of all these bills (and several of the provisions in these bills are fantastic), I think HB 233 is the one I'm most excited to see pass. Notify your representatives to support this bill if you can.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spazstick

Hunter
Nov 26, 2016
Lebanon, Oh
Zip code
This would be fantastic if they all pass but I agree with Zenas that H.B. 233 would be the best one to pass sooner than later. Having someone over the property having to ask you to leave and you refuse before it becomes a legal issue makes more sense than the way things are now. 

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
Sorry for the late update, but just as fast as HB 233 moved through committee, it passed the house last week as well. It now moves to the Senate for consideration. 

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
Thanks for the updates Zenas.  I will give it to the State of Ohio.  That have done a good job over the years of making smalls, yet meaningful changes for the better to the concealed carry laws.