Savage MSR Teaser

GA Firing Line

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I believe I saw a side charging handle. This may be interesting. I wonder if it's going to be geared toward precision or more of a standard AR.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I'd like to see some precision with affordable next to it. Side chargers aren't on the low end side of the AR. I'm looking forward to this one regardless Savage waited long enough to step up the AR game.

Reactions: dial1911

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I'd like to see some precision with affordable next to it. Side chargers aren't on the low end side of the AR. I'm looking forward to this one regardless Savage waited long enough to step up the AR game.
If it's under 1k for a precision oriented AR they will get my money.

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
I don't like side charging handles because you can't use a brass catcher to save your carefully match prepped brass.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
The big takeaway for me: Why in the hell are they still in Massachusetts?

Reactions: Cudruln

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I've always thought a side charger would be cool with one of those gas locks you can turn off so you can almost have a straight pull bolt action for Suppresed shooting

Reactions: Red Dawn

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I like the idea of left hand side charging that way my cheek stays welded and my trigger finger close by for re-engagement and never loosing site of target. Just thinking out loud

DMR

CZ Fan
Jun 4, 2015
Snellville
Zip code
Savage rifles are fairly cheap. I hope this is in the sub $700, because the market is oversaturated with 5.56 AR platforms for even less than that.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I've always thought a side charger would be cool with one of those gas locks you can turn off so you can almost have a straight pull bolt action for Suppresed shooting
That would be kinda dope. I had a ruger piston ar once and id turn the gas off and manually charge each round when shooting at gunsite hills bc that guy hated semi autos lol.

Reactions: AtlMedic

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
When I looked to purchase a precision AR in .308, side-charging was one of my criteria. Like the man said above, don't wanna have to take my eye off the scope to work the bolt.

I bought a JP Enterprises LRP-07 and ain't regretted it yet.

Savage's bolt actions are clunky, rattly, and loose.......cheap feeling. They have a fuck ton of improvement to do in their tolerances if they wanna make a good AR that runs and is accurate. For instance, the ejection port cover appears plastic on the MSR.

I damn hate the Accutrigger.

Personally this doesn't even quirk my eyebrow, but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. I'll be happy to shoot it and give an honest opinion. If it's a good gun, I'll endorse and recommend it.

Last edited:

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
When I looked to purchase a precision AR in .308, side-charging was one of my criteria. Like the man said above, don't wanna have to take my eye off the scope to work the bolt.

Savage's bolt actions are clunky, rattly, and loose.......cheap feeling. They have a fuck ton of improvement to do in their tolerances if they wanna make a good AR that runs and is accurate. For instance, the ejection port cover is plastic.

Personally this doesn't even quirk my eyebrow, but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. I'll be happy to shoot it and give an honest opinion. If it's a good gun, I'll endorse and recommend it.
Have you shot an accustock accutrigger Savage? Personally I think they feel great and i rarely run into one that wont shoot 1 moa

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Have you shot an accustock accutrigger Savage? Personally I think they feel great and i rarely run into one that wont shoot 1 moa

Yes I have. Several. I've had more than one student show up to my school with one.

The Accustocks I've shot felt like cheap Tupperware. Like I said, I can't stand the feel of the Accutrigger. YMMV, that's my personal opinion on them.

Yes, Savages tend to shoot well, but no more so than Remington's, or Tikka's, or Ruger's that also show up in my classes.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code

Savage's bolt actions are clunky, rattly, and loose.......cheap feeling. They have a fuck ton of improvement to do in their tolerances if they wanna make a good AR that runs and is accurate. For instance, the ejection port cover appears plastic on the MSR.

I damn hate the Accutrigger.

I'm kinda hoping that they will stick with a more budget friendly design. Savages are not as refined as others but they are a good value for the price and how well they shoot. I'm hoping this is a similar situation (may explain the plastic ejection port cover). For the casual shooter savages shoot more than good enough for a fraction the cost of other rifles.