Ruger American 556/223 thoughts?

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Anyone have or shoot these? Anywhere near 1 MOA with decent ammo?

If not it, what's a decent factory threaded 556. Or where can I get a savage accustock 556 factory threaded?

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Anyone have or shoot these? Anywhere near 1 MOA with decent ammo?

If not it, what's a decent factory threaded 556. Or where can I get a savage accustock 556 factory threaded?
I shot one that belonged to some guy at Charlie Elliot. The stock was crap, he took material out of the barrel channel to alleviate pressure points on the barrel. The rifle shot pretty well though. With some decent 68 grain loads it was right around 1 MOA, but didn't measure with a caliper. I'm thinking about one in a 6.5 just because of the price.

They look and feel cheap, but they shoot just fine.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
About 3 years ago, when my daughter was 10, she expressed an interest in getting into rifle shooting. I didn't want to have a custom rifle built for her until I knew for sure it was something she was going to stick with. Decided I'd get a factory bolt action 5.56/.223 for her.

Main issue I was running into was barrel twist. I wanted a fast twist rate and most of the rifles I found were 1:12".

I looked at the Mossberg MVP Varmint with the 1:9" twist, 24" fluted barrel, and laminate stock. I read a lot of good reviews online and decided to give it a try. The fact that it feeds from AR mags intrigued me.

Brought one home, lapped the barrel, sanded down the small contact point at the front of the forearm, and mounted a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm I had lying around with nothing under it.

Took it to the range behind the house with some 75grn reloads a buddy loaded for me. Shot an honest 5-shot .5MOA group with it.

Took my daughter with me down to Legion OTG in Blakely GA, for an event I was hosting on their 2,500yd Unknown Distance Range. Started my daughter at 100yds and then worked out way, target by target, out to 800yds. She was 100% at 800yds with it.

Since then, I've cut and crowned the barrel to 20", and installed an adjustable cheekpiece. It was originally going to be a temporary rifle for her, but it shoots to good to get rid of. I'm going to have it threaded and it'll make a neat suppressor host.

Reactions: jwtug and Rwjeter

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
About 3 years ago, when my daughter was 10, she expressed an interest in getting into rifle shooting. I didn't want to have a custom rifle built for her until I knew for sure it was something she was going to stick with. Decided I'd get a factory bolt action 5.56/.223 for her.

Main issue I was running into was barrel twist. I wanted a fast twist rate and most of the rifles I found were 1:12".

I looked at the Mossberg MVP Varmint with the 1:9" twist, 24" fluted barrel, and laminate stock. I read a lot of good reviews online and decided to give it a try. The fact that it feeds from AR mags intrigued me.

Brought one home, lapped the barrel, sanded down the small contact point at the front of the forearm, and mounted a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm I had lying around with nothing under it.

Took it to the range behind the house with some 75grn reloads a buddy loaded for me. Shot an honest 5-shot .5MOA group with it.

Took my daughter with me down to Legion OTG in Blakely GA, for an event I was hosting on their 2,500yd Unknown Distance Range. Started my daughter at 100yds and then worked out way, target by target, out to 800yds. She was 100% at 800yds with it.

Since then, I've cut and crowned the barrel to 20", and installed an adjustable cheekpiece. It was originally going to be a temporary rifle for her, but it shoots to good to get rid of. I'm going to have it threaded and it'll make a neat suppressor host.
I've looked at these several times. They're a really cool concept. And you can't beat the price. I've heard several people say they shot good, but never how good. That's impressive. Damn impressive.

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
I'm a ways up the road from you in Dallas, but if you can make it up this way you're welcome to shoot it. I've got a 200yd range out back.
I'm just as close to Dallas as I am Temple. Lol. Just over next to Rose's store. I might take you up on that one day. I need to try my RRA Varminteer first. I haven't even had a chance to take it out yet.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
you need a FCP-K like the one I had. I sure do miss that gun.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I just found 2 threaded Ruger Americans. 223 and 308. Both brand new, both for 300 bucks.

Thinking I need both.....

Reactions: jwtug and Laufen

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I just found 2 threaded Ruger Americans. 223 and 308. Both brand new, both for 300 bucks.

Thinking I need both.....
That's a pretty solid deal.