Putting A Tracer Round In Every 10-15 Bullets?

Howard Law

BigMikey

Hunter
Jan 31, 2016
Anyone ever mix in the occasional tracer round with their loadouts? I had a box of 50 once and I wanted to make them last so I just loaded one up ever 10-15 rounds so I'd have two in a magazine. It was pretty cool but anyone else ever use tracers?

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
I sure have. My first two mags were 100% tracers. Best way for me to direct fires with limited comms. Of course this was during combat operations in Iraq.....never saw much need for them in civilian life. They're cool, but tough to justify the money.

D

David

Nope, I've always wanted to shoot a few just to see how cool it would be, but never picked any up.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
They're a good time. They burn hot. There is one less shanty on Ft. Benning courtesy of one of my SAW gunners and his 4:1 mix.....burned it like paper. lol. Range Control wasn't a big fan of ours that day....and yes, it was completely unintentional!

Shawn Agne

Woodsman
Feb 22, 2016
If your barrel isn't chrome lined you are going to eat away at the barrel specifically the throat quicker. Heat is the enemy of a barrel and you're putting a lot of unnecessary heat in your barrel. Plus a lot of clubs/ranges do not allow tracers or AP ammo.

Phil (OHGO)

Hunter
Feb 18, 2016
Tracers are fun to shoot. But in a SHTF situation you sure wouldn't to use them. Yes you can see where they are going, but the enemy can see where they are coming from also.