New Years

GA Firing Line

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
Well how many are having sauerkraut and mash potatoes for New Years.
Best way to start the new years out.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

M

mukwah

Is that a regional tradition Rich? Don't think I've ever heard of that one. Down south it's cabbage and black eyed peas. Just saying.....

M

mukwah

Supposed to give you good luck for the year with blackeyed peas and cabbage, don't know though. Hasen't always worked for me.
Maybe I need to try the kraut and taters!!

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
Up north the sauerkraut mash potatoes is to bring you a lot of money in the next year.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

briant

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
Orient, OH
Yes Rich...I have kraut and pork chops in the slow cooker overnight and will mash potatoes tomorrow afternoon. Always start the new year that way...just like my grandma showed me years ago.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
Another thing we used to do up north on New Years was to shoot shotguns and pistols in the air at midnight.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

briant

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
Orient, OH
I know people who still do that but never did it myself. Never seemed like a good idea standing outside knowing that lead was going to be falling somewhere.

millsriver

Hunter
Jun 21, 2012
North Carolina
I grew up in Virginia and now live in North Carolina. We always have "hoppin' john" which is a mix of rice, black-eyed peas, crushed tomatoes, a little onion, ham and some sweet pepper (or jalapeno, if you are so inclined". Tradition calls for each member of the family to stir the pot. It is supposed to bring good luck for the New Year. Happy New Year to everyone and God Bless the USA!

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
millsriver said:
I grew up in Virginia and now live in North Carolina. We always have "hoppin' john" which is a mix of rice, black-eyed peas, crushed tomatoes, a little onion, ham and some sweet pepper (or jalapeno, if you are so inclined". Tradition calls for each member of the family to stir the pot. It is supposed to bring good luck for the New Year. Happy New Year to everyone and God Bless the USA!

That does sound yummy.

I grew up mostly in the deep South until I joined the Army and then married a full-blooded Yankee gal (German heritage and a great cook) here in Wisconsin. I still can't get her interested in black-eyed peas or grits, but she has acquired a taste for Cajun flavors (though in moderation).

I hope y'all have a great New Year. At least we got past the 21st..... ;)

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Pork loin roast, cabbage, black eyed peas here for tomorrow. Had some grilled squash, asparagus, grilled chicken, mashed potatoes tonight. My Pinot Noir goes with all of them!

T

TexasIII

The lil womans got morning sickness. If I whiped up some sauerkraut she would blow chow clear across the house.

R

rayzer007

TexasIII said:
The lil womans got morning sickness. If I whiped up some sauerkraut she would blow chow clear across the house.

That's funny Tex! ;D

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
I feel for you Texas lll. To me New Year's is not new years without pork sauerkraut mashed potatoes.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

jackjr

Woodsman
Jun 10, 2012
No shooting in the air here. Shannon's law precludes that. Shannon was a young lady killed when a round fired in the air fell and hit her in the head and killed her. Sad thing that caused a few to think about it. Still hear gunfire but the police have sensors that can pinpoint the shot and they are usually Johnny on the spot.

Happy and safe New Year to all!

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
RICHGCOOP said:
Another thing we used to do up north on New Years was to shoot shotguns and pistols in the air at midnight.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

Plenty of room on my place for lead to fall safely. I ripped off 20 rounds through the Saiga. It was bird shot so if somebody was trespassing they would think it was raining poppy seeds. Police should be here anytime. :D

We also do the cabbage, slaw, and/or the peas. I am not to serious about it though.

M

mukwah

Wishing all my Forum friends here a Happy and Prosperous New Year!! Ride hard and shoot straight!!!