Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
My first complete build.

Getting ready to start next build and wanted some input on it. I've got an Aero lower and I'm going to pick up the WAR upper to help with gas blowback. I'm putting a 14.5" 556 barrel on it with a pin weld SiCo brake to make it legit for shouldering it. Is there specifics that you know of necessary to act as a baseline starting point. I know all rifles are different and this is a complete build up so there's no telling what may come of it. This mainly be for running with SiCo 556K that has the QD on it. Thanks for the help NFA gurus.

Aero lower
Milspec Buffer
CMMG LPK
IA WAR upper
14.5" 1/7 barrel pin weld ASR
Aero handguard
PSA BCG/CH
Stock Magpul fixed

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Laufen

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
Do you need a mid length, or M4 carbine style hand guard, I have a few short ones if you need one... Also prob. have a M4 type stock as well. ( not the tube, just the stock that slides on the tube.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Do you need a mid length, or M4 carbine style hand guard, I have a few short ones if you need one... Also prob. have a M4 type stock as well. ( not the tube, just the stock that slides on the tube.
Thanks @EugenFJR I want to run the rifle handguard as far as I can to the end of the barrel without fighting the QD on the can.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
My first complete build.

Getting ready to start next build and wanted some input on it. I've got an Aero lower and I'm going to pick up the WAR upper to help with gas blowback. I'm putting a 14.5" 556 barrel on it with a pin weld SiCo brake to make it legit for shouldering it. Is there specifics that you know of necessary to act as a baseline starting point. I know all rifles are different and this is a complete build up so there's no telling what may come of it. This mainly be for running with SiCo 556K that has the QD on it. Thanks for the help NFA gurus.

HAVE
Aero lower
Milspec Buffer
LPK
IA WAR upper
PSA BCG/CH

NEED
14.5" 556 barrel carbine gas
15" Hand guard
Stock
I have an FDE Magpul MOE Milspec stock.

Reactions: Red Dawn

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
I'd rather have a 16" than a welded 14.5", but whatever makes you happy. I'd also prefer mid length gas over carbine.

If you haven't got the barrel yet, get the gas port size before you purchase. You definitely want to avoid anything oversized if your going to shoot suppressed.

I've got tools and a geissele reaction rod if you need help with the build.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I'd rather have a 16" than a welded 14.5", but whatever makes you happy. I'd also prefer mid length gas over carbine.

If you haven't got the barrel yet, get the gas port size before you purchase. You definitely want to avoid anything oversized if your going to shoot suppressed.

I've got tools and a geissele reaction rod if you need help with the build.
No I haven't bought the barrel yet and thought the carbine was good with WAR upper you think mid length is better for cycling and thanks for offering tools and help I'm gonna need it I'm sure.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
No I haven't bought the barrel yet and thought the carbine was good with WAR upper you think mid length is better for cycling and thanks for offering tools and help I'm gonna need it I'm sure.

The recoil is softer with the mid, rifle is softer still. I believe the extra back pressure from the can will cause the bolt to cycle faster. If it cycles without the can, it will definitely cycle with it. It's why many times people will use an extra heavy buffer when shooting suppressed, to slow it down.

I don't know what a WAR upper is or does, it might help mitigate these issues, idk.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
The recoil is softer with the mid, rifle is softer still. I believe the extra back pressure from the can will cause the bolt to cycle faster. If it cycles without the can, it will definitely cycle with it. It's why many times people will use an extra heavy buffer when shooting suppressed, to slow it down.

I don't know what a WAR upper is or does, it might help mitigate these issues, idk.

Here's info on the WAR upper
http://innovativearms.com/war/

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Proprietary carbine gas tube, so I guess you have to get carbine.

Why not get an adjustable gas block and a regular upper for half the cost?
Actually less than half, wasn't thinking about the gas block you'd be buying anyway.

I thought about that too and go with Gemtech Bolt Carrier but that upper is way cooler and adjust on the outside with aluminum nob eliminating blowback and hot gas to the face.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
I thought about that too and go with Gemtech Bolt Carrier but that upper is way cooler and adjust on the outside with aluminum nob eliminating blowback and hot gas to the face.

It sounded like it only eliminated it when you go to hand cycling.

I'd be interested in trying it though. I'd have to demo it before dropping three bills on a stripped upper.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Once it's built you can give it a run for sure. I learn by trial and error so I hope it's not a crap shoot that cost me mad $ but I'm looking forward to to testing it for sure.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
I have an upper with the Battle Tested Equipment adjustable gas block.

For the money, it's nice although it takes two different sized hex keys to adjust and lock.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code

I have a question...What do you want your upper to look like? I mean if you go on the web, and find a picture of what you want your upper to look like, it might help people out, on your vision of your build... That way we know exactly what your looking to do. :)