Looking for advice on a ccw

Faktory 47

dreesr1

Hunter
Aug 2, 2016
Ohio
Zip code
Hello everyone. I am new to the site and this is my first post but I am looking for some advice, comments, opinions, experience, etc.

I am in the market for a carry gun and I have narrowed it down to a few different options. Now I know the first thing someone is going to say is “a good carry gun for one person might not be good for another” or something along those lines, but I have narrowed it a bit (not a lot, but a bit).

My first category is DA/SA because I like the idea of carrying ‘hammer down’ or DA due to not having a safety, but I am also a fan of SA triggers and the idea of having the lighter pull on follow up shots. So the top two guns I am considering are the H&K p30sk V3 (Hammer & decocker, No safety) and the Walther p99c AS. My front runner between these two is the H&K because of the grip variability and being hammer fired. Does anyone have experience with either of these two guns or make a recommendation either way?

My second category is more run of the mill and is between the Smith & Wesson M&P 9c and the Glock 26. I have also considered XDm’s or mod.2’s but lately I am leaning away from them after some research.

What are some opinions on this matter? Is DAO the way to go or is the DA/SA of the first group a better option? Any pros or cons that you’ve experienced with any of these 9mms is greatly appreciated.

Also feel free to let me know what you carry.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
It sounds like you've done some legitimate research. I can only offer my opinions and experience and tell you why it's how I feel.

First, I am a huge fan of a consistent trigger pull. I never understood the desire to carry a gun where your first shot has a totally different trigger pull than your subsequent shots. The first shot from the holster is likely the most important one, and I want the best trigger pull the gun has to offer. I love 1911 triggers, probably no better pistol trigger on the market, but due to other issues such as weight, reliability, capacity, etc. I don't carry one for defensive use.

I have found that the striker fired guns are the ticket for me due to their ease of use, reliability (if you get a good one), lighter weight, and consistent trigger pull on every single shot.

I'm a Glock 19/43/42 kind of guy for carry.

If you are set on DA/SA or DAO, The H&K's are a good gun. They are pricier than I would want to spend (I guess Germans are really proud of their engineering like a BMW). The older UPS's were way too big for what they were. The P30 line made huge improvements in that area. I have never been a fan of their triggers though, not as nice as other DA/SA triggers on the market. In my experience the CZ-75 or SP-01 pistols have the nicest DA/SA trigger.

No experience with the Walther.

In regards to DA/SA vs. DAO I don't have to much to offer. If you think consistency is more important then go with the DAO just as if you were shooting a revolver for defense. I will say that I think you get FASTER follow up shots with the DA/SA due to the shorter reset of the trigger.

The M&P9c and G26 are both good guns. Between those two I really do think it's a matter of personal feel in the hand. I like the simplicity of the Glock a bit more. As an armorer I may be a bit biased though. Most "newer" shooters have gravitated towards the feel/shape of the M&P grip in my classes.

Final thoughts, while you stated you prefer a gun "without" a safety to be DAO or DA/SA, I really urge you to reconsider. Just because the 3 mechanical safties of a Glock are inherently activated in the course of shooting the gun doesn't make it any less safe than something with a active external safety lever or DA gun. Again, your gun, your choice. Good luck in your search. If you have any questions about my thoughts just hit me up. You're local so you can always PM for a face to face if you'd like.

dreesr1

Hunter
Aug 2, 2016
Ohio
Zip code
Thank you for the insight, Chris. I value the opinions of people such as yourself as you have had an abundance of experience being a course instructor, competitor, and most of all a veteran who has had extensive training.

I will have to get my hands on a few of these guns to see what feels good in my hand, and experience the DA/SA for myself.

dreesr1

Hunter
Aug 2, 2016
Ohio
Zip code
[QUOTE="Chris Timmerman]I'm a Glock 19/43/42 kind of guy for carry.

[/QUOTE]
Just curious, how do you carry your G19?

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
I predominately carry it in a Comp-Tac C-Tac on my strong side 3-4 o'clock position. Depending on the situation, like driving to and from work, I run an appendix holster I made. I use that as I can't carry in the building at work and it's an easy on/off. Appendix is also the fastest position to draw from seated in a car in my opinion.

Randy (OHGO)

Woodsman
Feb 6, 2016
the choice you have is really a personal decision. I personally like the DA/SA, yes the two trigger pulls require practice but you can work with them. DAO also work if you prefer longer stiffer pull on the trigger. If you like the shorter pull then a striker fire would be for you. No gun or style is the "right" one, it is what ever style YOU prefer and shoot best with. One thing to remember though 99.995% of the guns on the market now will shoot better than you will. Good Luck with what ever you choose.

HOG2K

Hobbyist Photographer
Jan 30, 2016
 One thing to remember though 99.995% of the guns on the market now will shoot better than you will. Good Luck with what ever you choose.

Randy, I hate to butt in here but if you are going to state a % please make sure it's accurate. The NEW updated number is now 99.9995%. After strenuous testing, they added a third 9 before the 5. Just thought I would help you out here... no need for a thank you, we all make these mistakes... :)

After reading this back to myself, I sure hope you know this was a joke :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Randy (OHGO)

Woodsman
Feb 6, 2016
I am so sorry, I had old information and stand corrected :D , but then I used to be a much better shot.

HOG2K

Hobbyist Photographer
Jan 30, 2016
I am so sorry, I had old information and stand corrected :D , but then I used to be a much better shot.

Randy Randy Randy..... let me bow to you.... *bowing*... I was being sarcastic when I quoted you, it was all a joke :)  I'm not sure if your reply was joking back at me or if you were serious thinking your information was old and bad..lol so, it was all a joke.. I'm a jester!! :)