Liberal woman takes intelligent view and actually seeks the truth

American Revival Apparel Company

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Here is a very interesting article by a Liberal that seems to have more sense in understanding "the right to carry" than many NRA members in the sense that she at least listens to both sides.

https://www.creators.com/liberal/connie-schultz/every-woman-with-a-gun-has-a-story.html

I thought this comment was interesting "Fowler said that many express surprise when they learn she owns guns. At the most recent county fair, she struck up a conversation with the local NRA president, whose booth was near hers.

"I don't think he likes me," she said, "but he did tell the sheriff later that I'm the only Democrat he knows who owns a gun."

She laughed.

"That is absolutely wrong," she said. "We're everywhere."

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
LOL. OK, so some liberals do wake up, when they reallize that the need to protect themselves and their loved ones goes beyond political rethoric. Unfortunately most don't.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Gun Control Lies, Misconceptions,
Disingenuousness and Hypocrisy: I think there is so much Misconceptions on both sides of the fence. To think that only Republicans shoot guns, hunt, target practice is a big part of the problem. I really try to be independent in my politics. I go to the range almost every week. Many friends that shoot there solo and with their families are liberals. My father was a Career Marine, served in Korea and Viet Nam, got me started in the NRA at 12, took me to my first NRA match, taught me how to hunt. He himself was a crack shot and lo and behold was a Democrat. Go figure.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Wayne LaPierre on the Real Consequences of Universal Background Checks

Here's something to consider. Some folks seem to think that Universal Background Checks aren't so bad. Here's the NRA view on them plus some further thoughts on the 2nd Amendment.

No gun control lies, misconceptions and hardly disingenious. Do a Google on it and you will find most responses to it are nothing more than a poured stream of sneers and adjectives with the usual malice of denouncing it without considering proof necessary. That's hypocrisy.

I did 24 Years in the USAF and appreciate your fathers service. I have a son who is 38 years old, with 2 sons. He's not a Democrat, but an over educated, successful business type, but has no interest in firearms.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
The biggest problem in my opinion is the distorted media, and yes all the Misconceptions on both sides. By the way the NRA themselves did a article on this subject especially concerned from the false rhetoric from gun owners.(I will go back and find this sometime today).I have been a member of the NRA since I was twelve but I think Wayne L. is a fool. He does not know how to sell the NRA to to the general public. The NRA desperately needs a new PR company. The media can blow just about anything out of proportion. . The average non gun enthusiast would not know a Ar if one hit them in the head. By the way, I also served in the Military (Army) and have a son that does not like to shoot. The reason, his mother, a staunch Republican who does not even like a gun in the house or anything to do with guns. She hates the thought of any firearm including my pellet guns. Yes, she is a staunch Republican, go figure.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
I don't always agree with LaPierre on some of the things he says or does but I do agree with him on loads of stuff he does say. I'd hardly call him a fool and don't believe name calling has any place in a discussion on the matter.

Sure the NRA could do a better job on their PR but with the Media and politicians standing behind images of grieving parents and spouting their usual rethoric it's pretty hard for to interrupt the band wagon to get a few suggestions in about actually enforcing the existing gun laws and doing something to actually protect our kids and ourselves from lunatics and criminals.

Meanwhile Law Makers in Washington D.C. and various States are sitting down and drarfting out some pretty serious laws that are targeting you and I as gun owners. The NRA is still the best bet we have on a national level to stop the temporary lunacy at hand. So cut LaPierre some slack.

http://blog.bradycampaign.org/

Here's a link to the Brady Campaign they love rethoric.

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
Gotta stay with the NRA as our best voice in representing... US and ME through the twists and turns of this politically fueled, legally consequential, quagmire of emotion.

There is fear that the NRA is going down the same arrogant path to political and ideological defeat as the republican party, but it is not the general populace the NRA leadership is addressing. It is the hard core politicians with a very well established polar mindset.

This is a heavyweight bout and I don't think any of it is going to be put into the hands of voters. If that were to occur, I would lean more toward a softer, more gentile approach. Right now... have at it. JMHO

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Politician’s Syllogism

The politician's syllogism, also known as the politician's logic or the politician's fallacy, is a logical fallacy of the form:

1. We must do something
2. This is something
3. Therefore, we must do this.

It’s pretty easy to figure out what is going on in society today. The Gun Grabbers ignore facts since in their opinion every report on facts is only someone’s opinion, so they’re useless.

They figure most people will not give or ask for reasons or facts. Reason is regarded as the most naïve of all superstitions.
Public opinion has no source because it is spontaneously generated, a reflex of the collective instead of the Collective. (Refer to the Last State of the Union Speech for information as to who the Collective is.)

It is Progressive Social Measures versus Social Patriotic Responsibilities and logic is viewed as a syllogism.

So the politicians continue to spout their nonsense and considerations, if any, are respectful because it comes from people who they believe to be disinterested.

Ayn Rand would have understood.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Ayn Rand? I read all of her books. Boorish Idiolect. Sorry, but I could hardly wait to finish them. She should have stayed in Russia. "Ruthless selfishness, on the other hand, is a path to destruction -- parasitic, maybe even sociopathic, behavior. We've seen far too much of it. Shame on Ayn Rand, and on those so enamored of her philosophy that they can't reject its weaker, less practical aspects. It shouldn't be hard to jettison the more dangerous, ill-conceived elements of a philosophy, especially when they threaten all that's good about capitalism, freedom, and our economy.
Out-of-control selfishness doesn't build; it destroys.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
LOL. I've read her books. There are parts of it I find interesting but some of it a bit over the top. Like most philosophers it's best to take what you need from their writings and ignore the rest. Plato's writings have some good points but overall he was an elitist. There was no middle class folks around who could vote. So his Philosopher King would have been just another tyrant.

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
This is not a comment on its content, maybe more about my own shortcomings, but I BOUGHT "Atlas Shrugged" and found any and all attempts to read it resulted in most painful headaches. :( What a waste of 50 cents from the discount book store. It would make a great bullet catching backstop though. 8)

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
3Coyotes said:
This is not a comment on its content, maybe more about my own shortcomings, but I BOUGHT "Atlas Shrugged" and found any and all attempts to read it resulted in most painful headaches. :( What a waste of 50 cents from the discount book store. It would make a great bullet catching backstop though. 8)

Try War and Peace, by Leon Tolstoy 1400 pages in the paperback version. It beats Atlas Shrugged by 327 pages.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Nothing like a good discussion of an appreciation of classical and philosophical literature. Well... at least it's physical form ::)