American Revival Apparel Company

Laminate vs synthetic stock

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Laminate...strong...and they look spectacular. I feel they give me a better connection to the rifle. Synthetics are probably better (if it's a good one) but I don't "connect" with the rifle the same way I do wood. Maybe I'm weird,but laminate stocks give me more confidence in the gun. It just feels right.

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
I think with the technology now a days that either will yield the same results. It will come down to what stock feels best to you. Laminate has more finished look, synthetic will take more of a beating. Do you plan on taking through some forest or sitting at a bench.

Or you could just be like @ArtVandelay and have a strong connection to spectacular looking wood.

Sorry couldn't resist @ArtVandelay

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
I think with the technology now a days that either will yield the same results. It will come down to what stock feels best to you. Laminate has more finished look, synthetic will take more of a beating. Do you plan on taking through some forest or sitting at a bench.

Or you could just be like @ArtVandelay and have a strong connection to spectacular looking wood.

Dilemma
327a5fc6c55d38534c504178b0d52ac4.jpg
5f51a71ecccb9b1034a8f148e514e559.jpg

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
I have both- neither seem to make any difference in the Georgia climate. If I were expecting the same POI at my Georgia gun club vs. shooting in Alberta Canada, I'd probably pick the synthetic. However, if the shot is that important, I'd check zero in Canada in advance.

Specifically, my NM M1A is wearing walnut. My other rifles that shoot sub MOA are all synthetic- Not really my choice, but that's how they came to me. They all worked, so I didn't change anything.

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Yeah that's a hard one. Get your son to pick, that's what I do when I have a hard decision.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter

Everyone appreciates great wood...

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Laminate. The feel of wood without the susceptibility to the elements of wood. If you like wood, it's the only real choice for precision shooting. For a hunting rifle I go with wood because it's "warmer", lighter than laminate, and I'm not splitting hairs at a bench.

Thumbhole stocks are the spawn of the devil, especially for hunting.

Laces_Out_Marino

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Laminate. The feel of wood without the susceptibility to the elements of wood. If you like wood, it's the only real choice for precision shooting. For a hunting rifle I go with wood because it's "warmer", lighter than laminate, and I'm not splitting hairs at a bench.

so you are saying that you like the "feel of wood" and that its "warmer"? :boink:

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017

What's wrong with thumbhole stocks?

White

Frontiersman
Ever walked through the woods with one or carried one? There's no comfortable way to do it. Their fine on the bench but crap otherwise.
I have my butler carry mine everywhere. He just hands it to me when I'm ready to fire

White

Frontiersman
Ever walked through the woods with one or carried one? There's no comfortable way to do it. Their fine on the bench but crap otherwise.
I have my butler carry mine everywhere. He just hands it to me when I'm ready to fire