HK threaded barrel options

GA Firing Line

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I want to use my P30 as a host for my pending Octane9, but I don't have a threaded barrel. I basically have 3 options, I would like to know which one you would prefer and why. I don't have suppressor experience, so I feel I can't anticipate the pros & cons of each.
1) buy a German HK threaded barrel & a 2nd octane piston for the lefty metric threads
2)buy an American threaded barrel in 1/2-28 which is what my SBR host & octane piston already are.
3)buy a German HK P30L barrel and have it threaded to match my other hosts. I've already got another barrel that needs to go for threading, so it wouldn't be that big a deal to send two.

The cost difference isn't significant enough to justify taking it into consideration.

Thoughts?

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Don't know why...but I like the German barrel and extra piston idea....but getting the German barrel retread ed is probably more practical.

I'm still trying to decide between getting a USP45 or an HK45C. I need a threaded barrel for one of them.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Don't know why...but I like the German barrel and extra piston idea....but getting the German barrel retread ed is probably more practical.

I'm still trying to decide between getting a USP45 or an HK45C. I need a threaded barrel for one of them.
Yeah, if they're both factory HK barrels, I'd rather not have the additional piston. I said price is not a factor, but that's not entirely true. The US made barrel option is about half of the German. But I don't see the point in spending that kind of dough on a gun because of it's german awesomeness and then throwing an aftermarket american barrel in it. Given the cost of making this gun a suppressor host, I could easily justify leaving it alone and buying another host gun. decisions decisions

Reactions: Shemp

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
.5x28 barrel. No need for a new piston. but once you get the LH piston you'll never have to consider that again when looking at sigs or other LH thread guns.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Yeah, if they're both factory HK barrels, I'd rather not have the additional piston. I said price is not a factor, but that's not entirely true. The US made barrel option is about half of the German. But I don't see the point in spending that kind of dough on a gun because of it's german awesomeness and then throwing an aftermarket american barrel in it. Given the cost of making this gun a suppressor host, I could easily justify leaving it alone and buying another host gun. decisions decisions

An American barrel would represent a significant cost savings...but you're right. No sense buying a Porsche to put Autozone brakes on it.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Option 2. No need to have a separate piston if ya don't need it and those metrix things can be tough to match.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Thanks for all the suggestions. You brought up a few things that I didn't think of that swayed my opinion. Mainly the fact that my affinity for European firearms almost certainly dictates that I will need the second piston in the future regardless of what I decide on this one. So I decided just to get it over with and ordered the German LH threaded barrel and piston to match.