GA Firing Line

9mm, Glock or M&P?

• Total voters

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Glock because magazine prices. I have a dozen each G17 and G19 mags. I never paid more than $12 for any of them, no Korean. How cheap could you buy 24 M&P mags?

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Glock because magazine prices. I have a dozen each G17 and G19 mags. I never paid more than $12 for any of them, no Korean. How cheap could you buy 24 M&P mags?
That's also not typical. Just because you got some sweet ass deals doesn't mean it's normal. I don't think I've ever paid in 15 for a Glock mag. Hell even the magpul one was 15...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
That's also not typical. Just because you got some sweet ass deals doesn't mean it's normal. I don't think I've ever paid in 15 for a Glock mag. Hell even the magpul one was 15...

This...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
True, they are more expensive. I pick them up for about $25 each. However, I've tried to switch from the M&P to Glock, HK VP9 & PPQ. I just kept coming back to the M&P. I found it was hard to beat with an Apex upgrade. Better ergos than the Glock, with a more natural POA & POI. It shoots more smoothly than the PPQ and mags were cheaper. The VP9 trigger was "meh" to me and no where near as nice as the FSS trigger. The Glock was on par with the M&P for accuracy. While the PPQ and VP9 had a slight edge. Very slight. And my M&P is accurate enough. At 10 yards, it will tear the center out of a 3" paster. And at 15, I can keep them all in the head of an IPSC cardboard target.

I can't really do any better with the others. The accuracy issues did exist at one point, but they have largely been resolved and the trigger has been improved considerably. Current generation M&Ps are the best ones they've ever made. The M&P has awesome ergos, shoots very smoothly and is easy to work on. The PPQ and VP9, are not. Like, impossible. And to top it off, my M&Ps have been extremely reliable.

20 years ago, my first handgun was a G23, that I carried for several years. After that, a USP compact, again for several years, and a couple of Sigs in there too. In the last eight years, it's mostly been the M&P, M&P compact or Shield, with a G19, 2x PPQ's and a VP9 scattered in between. But I still have the M&Ps.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
I picked up some magpul G17 mags for $11, and I've been to two GSSF matches where they're were selling mags for $10 each. I like the M&P and the only reason I'm a Glock guy is the GSSF discount. At one point I owned both, and even with the discount I almost went with the Smith. But at this point it would take well over $500 in mags and holsters to get to the point I am with Glock so I'm staying with it.

Reactions: EugenFJR

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
I picked up some magpul G17 mags for $11, and I've been to two GSSF matches where they're were selling mags for $10 each. I like the M&P and the only reason I'm a Glock guy is the GSSF discount. At one point I owned both, and even with the discount I almost went with the Smith. But at this point it would take well over $500 in mags and holsters to get to the point I am with Glock so I'm staying with it.

Ho do the magpul mags work, have you used them, in someting like a 3 gun comp? Or GSSF match?

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code

Good point. Once you've invested in mags, holsters, etc, it's hard to justify switching to anything else. On the other hand, the recent selling prices of the M&P, puts it into blue label territory.

Reactions: freedom

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I'll be shooting mine in about an hour. I bet it'll do just fine.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code

Sound reasoning...with what you have invested it would be silly to switch. I am looking at it from the perspective of having little to nothing in either platform...a complete start from scratch.