Econ economics degree, but now what?

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
i would love to open a gun store, but the profit margin is slim, competition fierce, high overhead, and id have to deal with the atf
Yeah, fuck that, that sounds like a lot of.... work.

Seriously though, don't think you can start or even acquire a business without a lot of sacrifice & difficulty. People will give you all the statistics about what ridiculously high percentage of small businesses fail and all that, but the fact is, a business is nothing and it does nothing. It's all about the owner. 4 out of 5 small businesses don't fail, 4 out of 5 small business owners quit or drive themselves bankrupt by making stupid decisions. The fact of that matter is, most people aren't cut out to run a business. I put it all on the line once and failed. Learned from my mistakes, made monthly payments to the IRS for 7 years, rebuilt my credit and put it all on the line again for another go. I pretty much made all the mistakes the first time so now I don't have to make them again. I know I've heard @DoglegArms mention this being his second go around. My dad was a very successful businessman, but he failed his first go around and fought his way back from bankruptcy.They also have one thing in common, they can't afford to fail. My dad always told me that "if you have something to fall back on, you will." That stuck with me.

There's a really good book on this topic I read years ago called "Failing Forward" that I would recommend to anyone.

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code

Seriously though, don't think you can start or even acquire a business without a lot of sacrifice & difficulty. People will give you all the statistics about what ridiculously high percentage of small businesses fail and all that, but the fact is, a business is nothing and it does nothing. It's all about the owner. 4 out of 5 small businesses don't fail, 4 out of 5 small business owners quit or drive themselves bankrupt by making stupid decisions. The fact of that matter is, most people aren't cut out to run a business. I put it all on the line once and failed. Learned from my mistakes, made monthly payments to the IRS for 7 years, rebuilt my credit and put it all on the line again for another go. I pretty much made all the mistakes the first time so now I don't have to make them again. I know I've heard @DoglegArms mention this being his second go around. My dad was a very successful businessman, but he failed his first go around and fought his way back from bankruptcy.They also have one thing in common, they can't afford to fail. My dad always told me that "if you have something to fall back on, you will." That stuck with me.

There's a really good book on this topic I read years ago called "Failing Forward" that I would recommend to anyone.

I'm confused. Are you accusing me of being your father or did you commit to a Griffin Revolution 45?

https://www.doglegarms.com/Griffin-Armament-Revolution-45-p/ga-r45.htm

Thenut

Frontiersman
Trusted Trader
Sep 10, 2015
dat atl

good insight