Howard Law

baffle stack or monocore?

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
I don't think monocore vs. baffles would be a deciding factor for me. I think performance, size, weight, durability and servicability would be the major contributing factors. All of those things being equal, I would say baffles, but that may just be because that's what I have and that's what I'm used to. It would be nice not to have to worry about lining them up, but I don't take mine apart nearly as often as some others apparently do.

boss_hawg

Marksman
I don't think monocore vs. baffles would be a deciding factor for me. I think performance, size, weight, durability and servicability would be the major contributing factors. All of those things being equal, I would say baffles, but that may just be because that's what I have and that's what I'm used to. It would be nice not to have to worry about lining them up, but I don't take mine apart nearly as often as some others apparently do.
my main concerns are durability and ease of maintenance/cleaning.

I'm not quite as worried about performance because the most common rimfire caliber (22lr) isn't all that noisy to begin with.

weight too is not that big of a concern because it's going on a rifle and most rimfire cans are not heavy/big anyway.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter

I'm not quite as worried about performance because the most common rimfire caliber (22lr) isn't all that noisy to begin with.

weight too is not that big of a concern because it's going on a rifle and most rimfire cans are not heavy/big anyway.
what cans are you looking at?

With those being your two main concerns I would go with the Sparrow hands down. The "clamshell" design makes it super easy to clean and disassemble. The tube never even gets dirty. The only drawback is you do get a fair amount of "first round pop" that is avoided with most baffle stack designs.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Listed in order of bestness
1. Monocore with clamshell
2. Baffle stack
3. Monocore

Baffles do tend to fit in tumblers easier tho!

I just noticed you said this will be on a rifle which means "first round pop" will not be as much of an issue. It's fairly significant on my pistols.

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Personally, I prefer baffle stacks. There is pronounced FRP with monocores. I don't mind on a rifle can, but on a rimfire can that is used for squirrel eradication, FRP is annoying.