Anybody tried this?

Faktory 47

jwtug

Tamer of Electrons
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 6, 2015
Dixie (and Powder Springs)
Zip code
Just downloaded an app for my phone called GasBuddy. You can search by zip code or by GPS location for the cheapest gas in your area. If you see a gas price that needs adjusting you can report it for a chance to win $100 in free gas. (Which is given away daily)

deca5827b22fb8208486ad2b7747bfc6.jpg

H

Hoss

Cool, I wonder how accurate it is out in the sticks. I'm assuming the prices come from members reporting them.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Cool, I wonder how accurate it is out in the sticks. I'm assuming the prices come from members reporting them.

IT does.

I have used it for quite some time now...It's fairly accurate. Even in densely populated areas like the metro it can entirely miss some of the cheapest gas stations..until you report the prices in that is.

Overall good app, I just don't get driving an extra 5-8 miles to save 5 cents.I will say it's great for diesel...diesel prices fluctuate wildly station to station. One a few miles from the house is at 2.82 a gallon, another just a couple miles down the road on my way to work has it for 2.64...that's enough of a difference to me especially since it's already on my way.

Reactions: Laufen

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I really don't understand why people care about shopping around for gas. It's about the same price everywhere, and you're going to buy it no matter what.
The only factor that plays into my decision on where to get gas is if it's a "top tier" brand or not. More and better additives in the gas is all I really care about, even though I treat every gallon of gas that goes into any of our engines with Sta-Bil. Overkill, but that's how I roll.

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I really don't understand why people care about shopping around for gas. It's about the same price everywhere, and you're going to buy it no matter what.
The only factor that plays into my decision on where to get gas is if it's a "top tier" brand or not. More and better additives in the gas is all I really care about, even though I treat every gallon of gas that goes into any of our engines with Sta-Bil. Overkill, but that's how I roll.
It varies pretty significantly around me, and if you are filling a big tank on a frequent basis, the difference adds up quickly

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code

I agree...even if you save 10c a gallon you're only saving $2 max...which you will likely spend on BS anyway. I never go out of my way for cheaper gas, but I will go a couple miles out of my way for REAL gas.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
It varies pretty significantly around me, and if you are filling a big tank on a frequent basis, the difference adds up quickly
I suppose, but what are we talking a few bucks? It's not worth my time to even be concerned about it. If I were buying for a large agricultural operation, sure. I'd lock in contracts in January every year and take regular deliveries, but for an average family you'll waste more money on an extra cup of coffee.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I suppose, but what are we talking a few bucks? It's not worth my time to even be concerned about it. If I were buying for a large agricultural operation, sure. I'd lock in contracts in January every year and take regular deliveries, but for an average family you'll waste more money on an extra cup of coffee.
A few bucks every fill-up adds up pretty rapidly depending on the commute .... I'm not suggesting driving 10 miles out of your way to save .30 or .40, but it's nice to know what may be available 1 exit down, etc

Reactions: jwtug and Laufen

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
A few bucks every fill-up adds up pretty rapidly depending on the commute .... I'm not suggesting driving 10 miles out of your way to save .30 or .40, but it's nice to know what may be available 1 exit down, etc
I suppose so, I just never see variation like that around here except at QT, and I won't burn their gas.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
This is how we end up with crap gas at all gas stations. There isn't much incentive for companies to use higher quality detergents if all anyone cares about is price. If no one sees a difference in quality, they'll stop caring about quality. That's how walmart happened.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I suppose so, I just never see variation like that around here except at QT, and I won't burn their gas.
2 QTs near me, 1 exit apart, vary by as much as .20 on a regular basis; the Texaco just down the street can be as much as .35 more on premium.

I run the cheapest gas in my truck, only run premium in the bimmer, so not a big deal for me.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I filled up some 5 gallon cans there and had visible sediment in the bottom. Couple that with the fact that I prefer Techron to whatever QT uses and I just stick with a top tier that I know is quality.
It's a pretty non-scientific approach, but I just can't get myself to buy it. I also read an article several years ago where 93 octane was compared from a multitude of different stations. Chevron and Shell had the highest levels of detergents on average and the least impurities. It just stuck with me.

Reactions: Shemp

jwtug

Tamer of Electrons
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 6, 2015
Dixie (and Powder Springs)
Zip code
Notice that the app does show which stations are top-tier

Reactions: Green Panther

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
This is how we end up with crap gas at all gas stations. There isn't much incentive for companies to use higher quality detergents if all anyone cares about is price. If no one sees a difference in quality, they'll stop caring about quality. That's how walmart happened.

What's your beef with QT? They are Top Tier...

Walmart, Home Depot, Costco, etc are all just the leftover blends that went unsold or got too old from what I understand. I Prefer Chevron/Texaco, Shell, BP...but REAL gas trumps all. I just throw in some Techron if needed.