Any NASCAR Fans?

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
So Daytona just happened last week and it was a good one! The kid Logano pulled out the checkered flag (spoiler alert if you've been under a rock). Funny thing was I nearly lost a friendship over texting a buddy about the race and he had it DV-R'ed. We still haven't spoke since Sunday unfortunately...ridiculous. I mean it is just a sport and how am I supposed to know your work schedule when you're 2,000 miles away? Anyway, I digress.

So who's a fan of the NASCAR? Who's your pick to take the cup this year?

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Sorry, boss. Ever since most of the veterans retired and the drama started, I lost interest. Mark Martin was my favorite driver.

Reactions: jwtug

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
Sorry, boss. Ever since most of the veterans retired and the drama started, I lost interest. Mark Martin was my favorite driver.

Mark is a good guy.

I was into it for a while, but I have kind of forgotten about it.

I absolutely cannot stand DW. He is a freaking idiot. I actually heard him use the word "exacerfied" during a race.

There is absolutely no consistency from one season to the next. They make crazy changes to the schedule and the rules every stinking year.

And I swear..... If they enforce that idiotic ban on the confederate flag, they will never see another penny from me.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
My only experience with Nascar is camping out in a very large RV in the infield at the Daytona 500 when Dale Earnhardt finally won. If ever there was on to go to i guess I got lucky I was at that one.

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
My only experience with Nascar is camping out in a very large RV in the infield at the Daytona 500 when Dale Earnhardt finally won. If ever there was on to go to i guess I got lucky I was at that one.

That was in the good ol days.

I remember going to Daytona for the summer race when the main stands and the ones on the backstretch were completely full. I haven't seen that in at least 10 years.

JMUshotgunner

Hunter
Aug 9, 2015
Virginia
They close the backstretch stands for the summer race. I think they are tearing it down and putting something new up in their place.

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
They close the backstretch stands for the summer race. I think they are tearing it down and putting something new up in their place.

They should put a monument up. The sport is really dying.

Just look at all the major sponsors who have pulled out. Home depot, red bull, dewalt. Hell, they are even losing Sprint soon.

The family who runs NASCAR keeps screwing it up. They change the rules for the chase wildly from one season to the next. The screw the south year after year with the schedule, and they keep jacking the ticket prices up to the level that no one can afford it.

I'm just not feeling it anymore. Especially after the idiotic confederate flag thing.

JMUshotgunner

Hunter
Aug 9, 2015
Virginia
Red bull was never a major sponsor in my eyes. They tried their hand at a race team and they sucked. They're better at European style racing. Or were. They aren't so hot in formula 1 right now either.

Home depot is getting out because of a change in their marketing management.

Dewalt is still in the sport. Sponsoring Kenseth for 6 races this year. Had been with Marcos Ambrose for a few years before that.

Title sponsors change for all kinds of sports all the time. That's what happens with contracts. Sprint is a sinking ship so I can understand why they aren't re-uping.

But look at the sponsors that have been on cars or decades and haven't left: Axalta (formerly DuPont's coatings division), Lowe's, Budweiser, Miller, Catepillar, Bass Pro, Coca-cola, Pepsi, Mobil 1, M&M's (Mars Candy), Interstate Batteries, Menard's, and many others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Yes they have jerked around with the Chase very often the past few years. But if you watched the broadcast Sunday, even the old guard say that it's the best thing that NASCAR has ever done. They change it because they listen to the fans and drivers. The way it's set up now rewards winning. I think the current Chase configuration will be around for a long long time. It makes the most sense.

JMUshotgunner

Hunter
Aug 9, 2015
Virginia
As far as the flag, they won't enforce the "ban." They can't. I'm sure that statement was just in response to mounting political and sponsor pressure.

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
Red bull was never a major sponsor in my eyes. They tried their hand at a race team and they sucked. They're better at European style racing. Or were. They aren't so hot in formula 1 right now either.

Home depot is getting out because of a change in their marketing management.

Dewalt is still in the sport. Sponsoring Kenseth for 6 races this year. Had been with Marcos Ambrose for a few years before that.

Title sponsors change for all kinds of sports all the time. That's what happens with contracts. Sprint is a sinking ship so I can understand why they aren't re-uping.

But look at the sponsors that have been on cars or decades and haven't left: Axalta (formerly DuPont's coatings division), Lowe's, Budweiser, Miller, Catepillar, Bass Pro, Coca-cola, Pepsi, Mobil 1, M&M's (Mars Candy), Interstate Batteries, Menard's, and many others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Yes they have jerked around with the Chase very often the past few years. But if you watched the broadcast Sunday, even the old guard say that it's the best thing that NASCAR has ever done. They change it because they listen to the fans and drivers. The way it's set up now rewards winning. I think the current Chase configuration will be around for a long long time. It makes the most sense.

Maybe they will listen to the fans and not ban the confederate flag. Maybe they will listen to the fans and drop the price of tickets (which are now pushing 100 at most tracks.) Maybe they will listen to the fans and start racing in the rain (which is my biggest peeve.) I hate paying good money, showing up and having a race cancelled or postponed because of rain. Guess what all those fans do? Drive back in the rain!

JMUshotgunner

Hunter
Aug 9, 2015
Virginia
Maybe they will listen to the fans and not ban the confederate flag. Maybe they will listen to the fans and drop the price of tickets (which are now pushing 100 at most tracks.) Maybe they will listen to the fans and start racing in the rain (which is my biggest peeve.) I hate paying good money, showing up and having a race cancelled or postponed because of rain. Guess what all those fans do? Drive back in the rain!
They've tried racing in the rain. It just doesn't work. I agree ticket prices need to come down. But ticket prices for all sporting events are pushing $100 or more. That's just a product of the times and the cost of sports in general.