300 Blackout guys, I need your help...

GA Firing Line

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
A heavier buffer should help but it appears that thing is way over gassed. Replacing the barrel with one with a proper sized gas port is the fix. Everything else is a bandaid.
The barrel is brand new. Has 110 rnds through it. Ballistic Advantage from Truprep. I purchased it myself. Overgassing IS the norm. Ive never had a standard barrel that wasn't overpassed even from companies like BCM.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I just say let r rip tater chip. Replacing an upper every few years is cheaper than all these fancy schmancy parts!!

Sent from my Obamaphone using Tapatalk
Honestly I'd just go with a heavier buffer and spring...voila. No need to replace anything after that.

Reactions: Leshaire

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Yeah, over gassing is the norm for most companies. But if you want a gun that isn't over gassed it all starts at the gas port in the barrel. Like I said anything you do to mitigate that oversized hole is just a bandaid. The fix, if you want a smooth running rifle that isn't ridiculously over gassed, is to buy a barrel with the proper size gas port.

Sionics arms and Sons of liberty gun works are two companies who put a lot of thought into the size of their gas ports. If it was me, I'd be shopping for a new barrel from them instead of adjustable gas blocks and BCG's to bleed off or choke the real problem, which is an over sized gas port.

I agree and disagree. The purpose of overgassing is reliability. People want their guns to run. If you have a gun you want to fine tune and run for a really long time, sure, buy a Sionics. I personally have the Sionics 11.5” 556 reduced gas port barrel in one of my ARs. The difference is, I wanted a super smooth shooting, low recoil, super long lasting, low gas in my face with a suppressor AR... That isn’t for everyone. Hell Sionics even states that the gas port is too small to cycle an AR without a suppressor. Of course I’ve tried it and it functions fine, but that’s neither here nor there.

Reactions: FatAlbert

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I agree and disagree. The purpose of overgassing is reliability. People want their guns to run. If you have a gun you want to fine tune and run for a really long time, sure, buy a Sionics. I personally have the Sionics 11.5” 556 reduced gas port barrel in one of my ARs. The difference is, I wanted a super smooth shooting, low recoil, super long lasting, low grass in my face with a suppressor AR... That isn’t for everyone. Hell Sionics even states that the gas port is too small to cycle an AR without a suppressor. Of course I’ve tried it and it functions fine, but that’s neither here nor there.

Since when do you hipsters not want that dope grass in your face?

Reactions: Leshaire

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
There's over gassing to make up for a dirty chamber and ensure reliability, then there's just plain over gassed well beyond that. From what Jake is describing it's in the well beyond that area.

Maybe a heavier buffer will give him what he wants, that will be best. Just my opinion that if that doesn't work and it's still too violent I would look at replacing the barrel before putting a bunch of adjustable junk on it.

Meh, that’s not unlike all other new ARs though. The differentiation between normal overgassed and beyond that seems subjective.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Meh, that’s not unlike all other new ARs though. The differentiation between normal overgassed and beyond that seems subjective.

I think BCM really hits the sweet spot with their 5.56's gas ports. It's so flat shooting, and I've never had an issue with reliability.

Reactions: FatAlbert

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Honestly I'd just go with a heavier buffer and spring...voila. No need to replace anything after that.

Which is exactly what I'm gonna do. I really don't feel like replacing the barrel, and it's a 300blk so I'm not gonna run thousands of rounds through it. I just don't want it to beat the shit out of the upper.

I have some Sprinco heavy buffer springs, if you need one.

That would be awesome. I'll gladly pay you for one.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Not really, normal over gassed means you can shoot thousands of rounds through your rifle without cleaning it and it still runs reliably.

Beyond that mean the gass is so fucking annoying you're doing stupid shit like hanging adjustable dodads all over you rifle to mitigate the oversized hole in your barrel.
And the Gasport size is dependent upon the weight of buffer in spring that you would typically run. Neither one of these variables is the primary variable they all work in concert.

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
I'd personally get an adjustable gas block as well as a heavier spring and/or buffer.

For what it is worth, the Bootleg BCG is wonderful.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Overpassed is NOT the norm, at least it ain’t if you’re dealing with a quality company that does their shit correctly......SOLGW or BRT.