1911 Questions

GA Firing Line

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I've got my SR1911 stripped down to do a two tone finish along with some cleaning and polishing. Going to install a magwell and extended slide stop. I'm not trying to go full operator status, just change a couple things that don't suit me.

My questions are:

1) Is there anything I can do to tighten up the of the grip safety to get rid of the rattle?

2) Is there any common/simple upgrades that I should make while It's all torn apart?

This is my first time tearing into a 1911, so I'm really just learning the ins & outs of the platform. Don't want to get it all back together and then learn that I shoulda done ______ while I had it apart.

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
Last edited:

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I usually get trigger job and replace the sights but I take it a smith.

http://www.gunception.com/how-to/1911-trigger-job-sear-angles-sear-spring/

Have no idea how to fix the rattle on the grip safety other than replacing it. Maybe search the 1911 forums for a solution.
I plan to do my own trigger job, but I've got some reading and youtubing to do first.

I don't plan to put the stock sights back on, they're pretty crappy. Not sure which ones I'm going to go with yet. I'd like a single dot rear sight, but have absolutely no use for night sights on this gun. Just have to explore my options.

I really want learn to do as much of my own smithing as possible. I've got skills and I've got tools, I just lack experience.

Have you shot the R1 yet?

Yeah, I took it out last weekend. I posted some comments about it somewhere. Maybe in the original listing. I love it, except the grips. They feel like 24 grit sandpaper after a couple mags. I've got some VZs on the way.

Last edited:

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
I plan to do my own trigger job, but I've got some reading and youtubing to do first.

I don't plan to put the stock sights back on, they're pretty crappy. Not sure which ones I'm going to go with yet.

I really want learn to do as much of my own smithing as possible. I've got skills and I've got tools, I just lack experience.

Yeah, I took it out last weekend. I posted some comments about it somewhere. Maybe in the original listing. I love it, except the grips. They feel like 24 grit sandpaper after a couple mags. I've got some VZs on the way.

There was a set of things I would have done to a new 1911. Trigger job, throat barrel, polish feed ramp, dehorn frame/slide, something like that. To me, it turned a stock 1911 into one that felt like a custom 1911.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
You can "bend" the leaf spring a very small amount and it will apply more back pressure on the grip safety taking out the rattle.

Or, you can do what I do and deactivate the whole damn thing.

20151012_125407_zpsbyfcwgcg.jpg

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
You can "bend" the leaf spring a very small amount and it will apply more back pressure on the grip safety taking out the rattle.

Or, you can do what I do and deactivate the whole damn thing.

20151012_125407_zpsbyfcwgcg.jpg
How old is that Kimber?

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Flush cut and crown on the barrel, gun kote two tone, Ed brown mag well mainspring housing, WC extended slide release & springs. Ran out of patience to to do the necessary fitting of the WC safety I bought. I still gotta pick up a couple more things to do the trigger job, so I'll tackle the safety when I get to that. I was just tired of looking at a pile of parts on the workbench.

Thanks to @dial1911 for the goody bag.

Thanks to @Kobayashi for the invisible sights.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Didn't notice how bad the tape line bleed was on the front of the slide until I posted these pics up full size. Gotta clean that up a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: dial1911