Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Shotgun shell reloading

TRS

Tracker
Thinking about starting reloading shotshells, looking for advice on equipment, guides, feasibility, etc... Pretty sure I don't even know enough to ask the right questions.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
I'd get a manual first and read what is got to say. I think my Speer book has a section on shot shells. Never read it. Although I've owned and sold 2 used MEC presses. Never reloaded a shell.

Reactions: TRS

T_Max

Master of the Meat
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
First off lead is stupid expensive. Unless you are going to shoot 15 or 20 cases a year it's not worth it. Powder is at an all time high. Primers are hard to find. .honestly if you are shooting skeet or clays.buy in bulk when you find a good deal. If you still want to buy the MEC 9000

T_Max

Master of the Meat
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Buy the universal charge and shot bar for the MEC. Claybuster was are good ones. Buy an shotshell reloading book.

Balthaz

Gone In 60 Seconds
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Thinking about starting reloading shotshells, looking for advice on equipment, guides, feasibility, etc... Pretty sure I don't even know enough to ask the right questions.
Have never reloaded Shotshels but would be interested in a Thread about it.

TRS

Tracker
First off lead is stupid expensive. Unless you are going to shoot 15 or 20 cases a year it's not worth it. Powder is at an all time high. Primers are hard to find. .honestly if you are shooting skeet or clays.buy in bulk when you find a good deal. If you still want to buy the MEC 9000
My interest is in making custom loads of various shot mixtures, and just plain experimenting. In my youth I was given a Spanish made muzzleloading shotgun and very vague instructions which I survived.

As I appear to be delving deeper into bullpuppery (almost 150 rounds today) I have a need for a much higher volume of #2, #4 buck, 00, and 0000. For bird shot I'll keep buying Winchester/federal bulk boxes at Wally world.

I'm most likely only going to need 2 3/4 and 3", I'm aware components are high and hard, so is it a good time to buy used equipment??

T_Max

Master of the Meat
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
High end. Is an Possness n Warren press

But a progressive MEC will serve you well

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
I'll fill the Trager with ribs. It dont take long to load a few 100. I have 500lbs of shot. Let me get some powder ordered if I can find it

Don't shells use pistol powder? I think I've got 4 lbs. of universal clays. Definitely got bullseye, unique, and titegroup.