GA Firing Line

Polymer Coated Bullets?

Herk

Hunter
I'm getting back into reloading after about a 12 year hiatus and looking at what components are out there. Fortunately, I own a 10mm which doesn't seem to be overwhelmed with demand like 9mm is. It looks like cast lead bullets are the cheapest that you can get but for about 5% (or so) more money you can get polymer coated bullets. What's the advantage of these? Easier cleaning of the gun? Less lead in the air when you shoot? Something else?

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
I like the ploy coat. Fingers stay much cleaner than moly coated. Neat colors. Coating is supposed to stay intact through firing so it reduces leading. Generally lower lead exposure.

Now, I have had some with an overly thick coating that made them hard to crimp, or completely fail a chamber check.

Herk

Hunter
I like the ploy coat. Fingers stay much cleaner than moly coated. Neat colors. Coating is supposed to stay intact through firing so it reduces leading. Generally lower lead exposure.

Now, I have had some with an overly thick coating that made them hard to crimp, or completely fail a chamber check.
Do you have a preferred manufacturer (for coated or non)?

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Do you have a preferred manufacturer (for coated or non)?

Sorry man- just saw this.

Let me go check in a minute. I ordered several thousand from a place in Lousiana i think. Still have their card with the bullets.