You probably have all the gear you need, are you staying fit?

What are you doing to stay in shape?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2Glocks

I swear I’m an adult
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2019
Zip code
I think there is a pretty good argument that other than a rifle that you know how to use effectively your fitness is the most important thing you can own. What are you all doing to stay in shape? Heart Disease is still the #1 cause of death in the US( https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/leading-causes-of-death.htm) and you have a lot of control over your risk.

I was out of shape in my early 20's, mostly due to beer consumption but cut that out around 23. Right now I am doing a lot of bodyweight exercise, some lifting (Big 4 mostly: Squats/Deadlifts/Overhead Press/Bench) and running.

Don't know where to start? Ask in this thread! I am sure that there are some pro's who can point you in the right direction.

There are tons of way to get healthier without spending a dime as well!

Reactions: dial1911

edindah

Hunter
Mar 15, 2017
Dahlonega, GA
Zip code
As I enter my 7th decade on this blue marble, I am not about to fool myself ( or anyone else) about being fit (maybe fit to be tied.) I see my role as a place holder. (Probably more like cannon fodder.) I should do fairly well in that capacity. Several years ago, I worked for the Dept. Of the Army as an armed security guard. While at Ft. Benning, getting my initial uniform, paperwork, etc.,the Provost Marshall, a Lt.Col. (about half my age), came up to me and with a smirk on his face, asked if I could pass the physical agility test (AR190-56 since revised!). I replied, " Well,sir, I will have no problem with the sit ups. I know I can do the required push ups. The 100 yard dash in "x" seconds will have me heaving my guts up at the finish line, but within time. The run (mile or 2 or 3, I forget distance) , I told him, he will not need a stopwatch. He looked perplexed and I said he will need a calendar. I walked away.

Last edited:

2Glocks

I swear I’m an adult
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2019
Zip code
As I enter my 7th decade on this blue marble, I am not about to full myself ( or anyone else) about being fit (maybe fit to be tied.) I see my role as a place holder. (Probably more like cannon fodder.) I should do fairly well in that capacity. Several years ago, I worked for the Dept. Of the Army as an armed security guard. While at Ft. Benning, getting my initial uniform, paperwork, etc.,the Provost Marshall, a Lt.Col. (about half my age), came up to me and with a smirk on his face, asked if I could pass the physical agility test (AR190-56 since revised!). I replied, " Well,sir, I will have no problem with the sit ups. I know I can do the required push ups. The 100 yard dash in "x" seconds will have me heaving my guts up at the finish line, but within time. The run (mile or 2 or 3, I forget distance) , I told him, he will not need a stopwatch. He looked perplexed and I said he will need a calendar. I walked away.
The calendar comment is killing me hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cudruln

Turning pennies into dollars.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
50 acres, mostly trees and about 3 cords of wood split so far this year. I need to start doing more and will probably be getting a bicycle soon.

2Glocks

I swear I’m an adult
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2019
Zip code
50 acres, mostly trees and about 3 cords of wood split so far this year. I need to start doing more and will probably be getting a bicycle soon.
Nice! Splitting wood is brutal for sure

Cudruln

Turning pennies into dollars.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Nice! Splitting wood is brutal for sure

Well I cheat a little, have a 3 point hydraulic powered splitter. Still have to move the wood though, just not swinging an axe.

Reactions: Grunk

2Glocks

I swear I’m an adult
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2019
Zip code
Well I cheat a little, have a 3 point hydraulic powered splitter. Still have to move the wood though, just not swinging an axe.
Oh man swinging the axe is the fun part! But lifting all that wood onto the splitter and then restocking can really add up!

Reactions: Cudruln

Herk

Frontiersman
Mar 16, 2017
Colorado
Zip code
I used to be obsessed with fitness until about three years ago. I lost all motivation somehow and I'm not sure how to get it back.

Reactions: 2Glocks

Herk

Frontiersman
Mar 16, 2017
Colorado
Zip code
I am most of the way through a 30-day challenge with two other friends. It starts out easy: 50 air squats, 5 pushups, 30 crunches, one pull-up, and a 20-second plank. By day 30 it will be 250 air squats, 120 pushups, 150 crunches, 15 pull-ups, and 5:00 plank. Additionally, I've been riding my bike to work almost every day (it snowed and then melted again so I drove for a week or two) and went elk hunting in the mountians for four days at the end of October.

Having people to keep me accountable (i.e.: call me ghey if I slack off) seems to be helping. Getting in the habit is another big deal.

erkinator

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
Well at 60 I am back on my feet in construction. I never had the drive to exercise. Now, I am no a big guy , so never felt the need. I can get winded quick but I can work all day. Just finished hand shoveling 10 yards of mulch and put in rock steps. I am at least moving.lol

Reactions: Herk