you heard it here first... Elon Musk prediction

Slacker1972

Tracker
Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Franklin, Ga
Zip code
A guy I work with just bought a 2014 model today.
He said its the sporty model with 2 motors blah blah blah
It has 45,000 miles on it and he gave 52k for it.
It only has a 250 mile range and he said to charge it on 110V at home it only charges at like 3-5 miles per hour of charge so now he's planning on putting a 220V plug in his garage.
I just don't get it personally, but he is in his 30's not married and makes good money so what the hell.
He also has a 2003 Corvette that he is running twin turbos on so he likes his toys.

Reactions: dial1911 and Grunk

Jcountry

Tracker
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
Tesla is a crap company run by a psycho.

Just like many other “firsts,” they are gonna crash and burn, or get bought by some company interested in producing cars correctly.

I sure as hell wouldn’t buy this stock, or one of those cars.

Tesla is a good idea with God-awful implementation

Reactions: Slacker1972

Mac11FA

Gunoholic
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
A guy I work with just bought a 2014 model today.
He said its the sporty model with 2 motors blah blah blah
It has 45,000 miles on it and he gave 52k for it.
It only has a 250 mile range and he said to charge it on 110V at home it only charges at like 3-5 miles per hour of charge so now he's planning on putting a 220V plug in his garage.
I just don't get it personally, but he is in his 30's not married and makes good money so what the hell.
He also has a 2003 Corvette that he is running twin turbos on so he likes his toys.
Hopefully he has good insurance on his home and auto so that when it spontaneously combust he is covered.

Slacker1972

Tracker
Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Franklin, Ga
Zip code
Hopefully he has good insurance on his home and auto so that when it spontaneously combust he is covered.
I got to ride in the Tesla today and it was pretty cool.
The thing does 0-60 in 3 seconds and has amazing handling.
Tons of creature comforts, and everything is done very well.
That being said I wouldn't own one but it is fun.

Mac11FA

Gunoholic
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I got to ride in the Tesla today and it was pretty cool.
The thing does 0-60 in 3 seconds and has amazing handling.
Tons of creature comforts, and everything is done very well.
That being said I wouldn't own one but it is fun.
Did he put it in "ludicrous" mode for ya??? That will push your scalp.back a few inches!

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Hahaha!

That’ll do it!

I hope you get a good video. I want to see the look on some hipster’s face when you win-even though his bros told him “ludicrous mode will beat anything.”

My boss owns one. His is a 2014 though so it lacks ludicrous mode.

That said a couple of years ago he was out here and we were a little intoxicated and he kept telling me how his car could destroy my bike I had then (ZX-7R). I told him bullshit and I would race him for pinks in my F-250.

He was game and talking a bunch of shit until I told him were going to race from Atlanta to Denver and back.

Shut him right up.

Jcountry

Tracker
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
My boss owns one. His is a 2014 though so it lacks ludicrous mode.

That said a couple of years ago he was out here and we were a little intoxicated and he kept telling me how his car could destroy my bike I had then (ZX-7R). I told him bullshit and I would race him for pinks in my F-250.

He was game and talking a bunch of shit until I told him were going to race from Atlanta to Denver and back.

Shut him right up.
Nice!!

Jake

All gun laws are an infringement!
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Southern Gwinnett/Northern Rockdale
Zip code
Check out "Tesla Racing Channel" on YouTube. Some kid owns a Model S P100D and completely guts the interior and goes to the drag strip and beats up on some pretty high horsepower cars regularly. I've seen a few of his videos and it's pretty entertaining to watch. The only thing he's done to the car is gut the interior for the drag strip and he has a set of sticky tires(I wanna say Toyo R888's) and a set of drag slicks. I'm no Tesla fan but it's pretty funny watching that thing hurt the feelings of guys with purpose built drag cars losing to a basically stock electric car.

Grunk

Hard to be an Outlaw that ain't Wanted anymore
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
Check out "Tesla Racing Channel" on YouTube. Some kid owns a Model S P100D and completely guts the interior and goes to the drag strip and beats up on some pretty high horsepower cars regularly. I've seen a few of his videos and it's pretty entertaining to watch. The only thing he's done to the car is gut the interior for the drag strip and he has a set of sticky tires(I wanna say Toyo R888's) and a set of drag slicks. I'm no Tesla fan but it's pretty funny watching that thing hurt the feelings of guys with purpose built drag cars losing to a basically stock electric car.
I actually think Tesla has created a great product. I just don't think the company can survive as is. Between production problems, Musk's ego & tons of other projects, lack of repair places & the need for a build-out of the charging infrastructure in this country, I think it will either have to be folded into some other company to move forward or go back to selling only super high-end toys. If I was rich, I'd love to have one to play around in, but it's nowhere near ready for prime-time, mass market, daily driving. And I don't think Musk can get it there.

Grunk

Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code

Mac11FA

Gunoholic
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code

Jcountry

Tracker
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
I would never own a Tesla and not for this reason. I have seen them built. Maybe of one of the big 3 had these in production maybe. At Tesla safety is 3rd and quality is 29th.
Yep.

It’s sad to see something cool Get implemented so poorly.

It’s all due to Musk.

He is a moron at management, and his ego simply won’t allow him to recognize that he ain’t good at it.

I strongly suspect a major manufacturer will just buy the IP and such when Tesla liquidates. And liquidate , they will.

Last edited:

Mac11FA

Gunoholic
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Yep.

It’s sad to see something cool Get implemented so poorly.

It’s all due to Musk.

He is a moron at management, and his ego simply won’t allow him to recognize that he ain’t good at it.

I strongly suspect a major manufacturer will just buy the IP and such when Tesla liquidates. And liquidate , they will.
The assembly is done mostly with robots. All of the non welded joints are "screwed and glued" together. Actually, it is rivets not screws. As someone who has seen the manufacturing process 1st hand, the basics are there. The major issue is when they add new lines or assembly cells, they have to be out wherever there is space. Unfortunately, this breaks up the "assembly line" configuration.

• Wow
Reactions: Grunk

Grunk

Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
So, signs are appearing that the lithium-ion battery business may be a problem economically for electric cars:

Grunk

Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
I cant remember if I or someone else already posted this:

Thanks. I had not seen that. Short version = great engineering on the battery & motor. Poor engineering, design & implementation of manufacturing a car. Sounds to me like a company whose destiny lies in being bought by a true mass market vehicle manufacturer. But will Musk go for that?

Reactions: dial1911

Jcountry

Tracker
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
Thanks. I had not seen that. Short version = great engineering on the battery & motor. Poor engineering, design & implementation of manufacturing a car. Sounds to me like a company whose destiny lies in being bought by a true mass market vehicle manufacturer. But will Musk go for that?
Apple tried buying the company for well above market value a few years back, but they demanded Musk leave.

He wouldn’t, so they backed out.

I think the sale of a place like that depends on the corporate structure.

I bet the board would love to sell at this point, but Musk could have stuff set up so they can’t.

Mac11FA

Gunoholic
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
So, signs are appearing that the lithium-ion battery business may be a problem economically for electric cars:

If they had all the lithium prescribed for crazy people throughout the 70's, 80's and 90's to make batteries with they would be dirt cheap!!!!

I know not the same type needed for batteries. It is a joke.

• Haha

Mac11FA

Gunoholic
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I cant remember if I or someone else already posted this:

Not the video but I stated as much in another post. I think Musk is fascinated with robots and there is a clip in the video showing a car being lowered into an assembly cell. This is because there is no traditional production line. Only work cells scattered all over the facility due to poor layout planning of the lines. The dolly attached to the car is actually used to push the car from cell to cell on the factory floor.

• Wow

Jcountry

Tracker
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
Not the video but I stated as much in another post. I think Musk is fascinated with robots and there is a clip in the video showing a car being lowered into an assembly cell. This is because there is no traditional production line. Only work cells scattered all over the facility due to poor layout planning of the lines. The dolly attached to the car is actually used to push the car from cell to cell on the factory floor.
But a lot of things have to be done by hand.

I think that’s a big part of the problem.

Musk did no research on the industry. He thinks a 100% automated car factory is possible.

It isn’t. Car manufacturers have tried this for decades, and for a good bit of the process, human hands are still necessary.

dial1911

Mouse hunter
Jul 15, 2015
Central Hades
Zip code
It didn't hit me right off when I first read it.... but the car assembly involves GLUING panels/parts into place?? How the hell do you replace it when it gets damaged? Or is that an instantly totaled issue because a shop can't fix it?

Grunk

Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
It didn't hit me right off when I first read it.... but the car assembly involves GLUING panels/parts into place?? How the hell do you replace it when it gets damaged? Or is that an instantly totaled issue because a shop can't fix it?
Yep, that part is totaled & it's part of why Tesla has to do all repairs cause the body is done so weird. I get the feeling that Musk has never really given anybody with actual Manufacturing experience the authority to change anything. That's why I think the only real hope for a mass market Tesla is somebody buying it, & designing a chassis & body that can be built with normal costs & procedures to stick his battery & motor in.

Kobayashi

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
QUOTE="dial1911, post: 434661, member: 397"]It didn't hit me right off when I first read it.... but the car assembly involves GLUING panels/parts into place?? How the hell do you replace it when it gets damaged? Or is that an instantly totaled issue because a shop can't fix it?[/QUOTE]

Yep, that part is totaled & it's part of why Tesla has to do all repairs cause the body is done so weird. I get the feeling that Musk has never really given anybody with actual Manufacturing experience the authority to change anything. That's why I think the only real hope for a mass market Tesla is somebody buying it, & designing a chassis & body that can be built with normal costs & procedures to stick his battery & motor in.
Glued panels aren't really a Tesla development, actually fairly common in the industry. The process (if I'm remembering right) involves the use of epoxy in place of welding to join body panels. It shouldn't significantly affect repair given that the affected joint would otherwise be welded.

Grunk

Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
Ok- not really Tesla or Musk related, but I found this funny... Hyperloop skid reaches top speed. Then expodes.

It is Musk related. His SpaceX company sponsored the competition & has a big launch coming up this week & needs a bunch more money (sound familiar). I think it really shows why he needs to turn over management of Tesla to production guys or sell it. He's trying to paly too many pro-level sports at once. JMHO

dial1911

Mouse hunter
Jul 15, 2015
Central Hades
Zip code
It is Musk related. His SpaceX company sponsored the competition & has a big launch coming up this week & needs a bunch more money (sound familiar). I think it really shows why he needs to turn over management of Tesla to production guys or sell it. He's trying to paly too many pro-level sports at once. JMHO
I guess I meant he didn't design the thing that blew up... it belonged to one of the teams in the competition.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I guess I meant he didn't design the thing that blew up... it belonged to one of the teams in the competition.

Musk has never invented anything. He is an investor and a venture capitalist.

Kobayashi

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
Inventor? No, but he is a brilliant 'outside the box' thinker and idea guy. The mistake is to look at Tesla's current issues and look at Musk as some kind of idiot. His successes far outweigh his current problems, and the fact that things like Tesla a SpaceX even exist is game changing.

Mac11FA

Gunoholic
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Man, I covered this earlier. The cars are "screwed and glued" or rather the screws are rivets. They had these robot cells where this was done and apparently the noise levels from the process were high enough that everything was enclosed in a sound proof room.

Sheesh, my posts are worth reading once in a while.

Grunk

Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
Inventor? No, but he is a brilliant 'outside the box' thinker and idea guy. The mistake is to look at Tesla's current issues and look at Musk as some kind of idiot. His successes far outweigh his current problems, and the fact that things like Tesla a SpaceX even exist is game changing.
I'm not sure the existence of Tesla & SpaceX are game changing yet. If Tesla succeeds in establishing electric cars as mainstream, that will be. Right now, with all the hype & gov't subsidies, they've still sold fewer electric vehicles than Nissan (whose cutting a ton of jobs because of lack of profit) & not making a profit. SpaceX has turned a profit either. The game changing companies, in my opinion, will be the ones that actually bring this stuff into everyday people's lives on a mainstream scale. To me it's the difference between modern cell phones & the niche "radiophones in rich people's cars early on.

As I've said before, I hope Tesla succeeds, but I don't have much faith in Musk's ability to run a manufacturing operation. And, I think, that's what it takes to mainstream electric vehicles.