you heard it here first... Elon Musk prediction

Kobayashi

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
One of the fatalities was a guy that was watching a movie. He had driven the route hundreds of times (daily work commute) and a tractor trailer turned in front of him across the divided hwy. Car never saw the truck, drove under it decapitating the driver and kept trying to go after getting stuck in a field a ways down from the accident. At least the guy didn't suffer or kill anyone else.
I think we're going to find out that "self driving" vehicles aren't workable until 100% of vehicles are self driving, or that the feature can only be used on roads dedicated to self driving vehicles.

dial1911

Mouse hunter
Jul 15, 2015
Central Hades
Zip code
I think we're going to find out that "self driving" vehicles aren't workable until 100% of vehicles are self driving, or that the feature can only be used on roads dedicated to self driving vehicles.

I agree completely. One old truck on the road will absolutely shit can the idea of a self driving car. If 100% of them are autonomous, then fine... system will work. Throw just one wrench into the system and you have catastrophe.

Reactions: Kobayashi and Grunk

Mac11FA

Petrolsexual
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Autonomous systems are only as good as the programming. No computer ever will be able to outthink the human mind.

The only autonomous systems that will come close are those on rails. Even those will never be 100% safe. Many places have them but the trains (subways and passenger trains) still have a driver at the controls just in case.

This is why Musk's autonomous freight lines will never work. It is bad enough his self driving cars are not safe, who would want to be on the road with trains of these 18 wheelers barreling down the highway.

If they had taken the toll lanes (those that are isolated from the main interstate and not just double white lines like on 85) and made them for trucks only, the highways would be much safer. Also, big slow downs on hilly interstates would not be as prevalent because the 18 wheelers slow the rest of the traffic when they have to slow down for steep grades.

Jake

All gun laws are an infringement!
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Southern Gwinnett/Northern Rockdale
Zip code
I have no sympathy for car dealer associations who traditionally use pull with state legislatures to get their own way, but how many fronts is Tesla now fighting on?

Dealers associations are a bunch of bullshit. They try to dictate prices to their dealers and make them run mandatory sales, discounts, etc.. They are no better than unions.

Reactions: 1776 and Grunk

Mac11FA

Petrolsexual
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I have no sympathy for car dealer associations who traditionally use pull with state legislatures to get their own way, but how many fronts is Tesla now fighting on?

Shit, who cares?!?!?
1. It's NJ.
2. Dealer Assoc is no better than an Union or the mob.
3. Tesla will never spend a dime defending a baseless lawsuit.

Still a good article. Based on the quote below, it is on principle. Baseless at best.

"Jim Appleton, president of the Coalition of Automotive Retailer said in a statement. "Neighborhood new car dealers don't fear competition from Tesla -- which accounts for less than 1% of the new car market in New Jersey -- they simply object to unfair competition which places consumers at risk and local businesses at a competitive disadvantage."

Tesla did not immediately respond to a request for comment."